Old 25-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Dave Sheehy

Default Dendrobium crepidiferum

K Barrett ) wrote:
: http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SF-050702-21.html
: http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFA...3/densula.html
: http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFJuly%202003/den.html

: I hope these pics help you with the shape. Also please note that according
: to Christensen the name now is Dendrobium crepidiferum (ick)

Thanks Kay, they do help some. The top photo (that you took) in the second
URL illustrates my question about shape. In the top left corner you see a
flower in profile that is very trumpet, or cone shaped. That is what my
flowers are shaped like although they are gradually (very gradually I might
add) flattening out. There is a bit of an illusion in the pictures which
are taken head on. That is, the lip looks very short and squat from that
perspective when in reality it is not. Again, looking at the flower in the
top left corner you can see the lip sticking out from the edge of the
petals/sepals. Having bought this orchid from the picture at Andy's Orchids
I didn't expect it to quite look the way it does. BTW, the picture at Andy's
can be found at:

http://www.andysorchids.com/picturef...jpg&PicId=5168

It looks very much like the photos you listed above (except for the silvery
sparkles on Andy's photo).

Dave

: K Barrett

: "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: ...
: Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience that I got
: from
: Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat when they
: open
: but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the flowers for your
: plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's just the
: nature of the beast (err... plant).
:
: TIA,
: