Old 26-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Mark R. Ensign

Default [IBC] Is this a Bonsai?

Wow! What great responses I received to my inquiry. I'm very grateful
to all who responded for your comments and guidance.

I believe the plant that I received was the plant in the pictures.
However, the pictures did not properly disclose the interior branch
structure with big branches cut off to cause sprouting below of leaves
that hid the butcher job.

I have been in contact with the seller. He has offered to send another
plant free - not because of the question about whether or not this is a
bonsai but because it was terribly packed. There was no packing around
the pot, the dirt and the root ball. There were no Styrofoam peanuts to
protect the upper part of the plant. The pot had been emptied of dirt
and the plant was lying loose in the box.

The seller has assured me that he is changing his packing methods. I
expect him to be offering similar plants in the future on eBay. That is
what really concens me - people will see my feedback and be taken in as
I was. Perhaps I won't leave any feedback. But at least, from your
comments, I won't describe what he offers as not a bonsai.

Perhaps technically his definition is okay and the plant corresponds to
his definition. But it is nothing like what I have purchased on eBay
very successfully.

I have purchased 8 to 10 plants on eBay in the two last months as I
began exploring this world of bonsai. I have been extremely pleased with
all but this plant. The pricing and the packing and shipping of these
plants have been very good. There has been some obvious travel shock on
some of the plans but they have rebounded nicely. And there was no way
I could have purchased locally (only junipers sold on the street corner)
the variety of beautiful plants I've bot from competent and helpful
vendors on eBay.

Thanks again for all the great assistance. As I study and learn how to
care for these beautiful plants I'm sure I'll need more help and you all
are a great group to ask.

Mark R. Ensign
Amarillo, TX

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++