Old 26-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default Summer Lettuce crop

I just recently planted my lettuce crop for the fall here in Zone 6b. The
young plants are sprouting all over the place. I "missed" the chance to
plant them earlier in the season, though if I had realized the mid to late
spring / early summer was going to be so cool and wet I definately could
have gotten a good crop earlier in the year. Lettuce loves cool
temperatures, and will thrive during the spring and the fall, possibly
winter in some southern zones. The trick as I understand it is to plant the
lettuce so it begins to mature during cool weather, to prevent it from
"bolting" and becomming bitter.

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:57:05 -0500, "harold steig"
wrote:

I had great luck with lettuce this spring growing black seeded simpson

and
salad bowl. Now that the rest of the salad vegges are getting ripe my
lettuce is about done. I live in central WI and we do get warm days 85 to

95
with night time temps in the 60's
Do you think i can get another batch of simpson to grow this year ? I

could
water daily and put a cover over it about 12 inches above ground to shade

it
from the sun.
Or should I try another type of lettuce for this time of year. /
Thanks for any ideas.

You can certainly start lettuce seeds soon for growing into
fall's cooler weather.

BTW, I had lettuce survive a foot of snow and temperatures
of 16 F this spring - so you can probably grow it for a
considerable time after your first frost, maybe into
December.

Pat