Old 25-07-2003, 03:12 AM
harold steig

Default Summer Lettuce crop

I had great luck with lettuce this spring growing black seeded simpson and
salad bowl. Now that the rest of the salad vegges are getting ripe my
lettuce is about done. I live in central WI and we do get warm days 85 to 95
with night time temps in the 60's
Do you think i can get another batch of simpson to grow this year ? I could
water daily and put a cover over it about 12 inches above ground to shade it
from the sun.
Or should I try another type of lettuce for this time of year. /
Thanks for any ideas.
Harold

Old 25-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:57:05 -0500, "harold steig"
wrote:

I had great luck with lettuce this spring growing black seeded simpson and
salad bowl. Now that the rest of the salad vegges are getting ripe my
lettuce is about done. I live in central WI and we do get warm days 85 to 95
with night time temps in the 60's
Do you think i can get another batch of simpson to grow this year ? I could
water daily and put a cover over it about 12 inches above ground to shade it
from the sun.
Or should I try another type of lettuce for this time of year. /
Thanks for any ideas.

You can certainly start lettuce seeds soon for growing into
fall's cooler weather.

BTW, I had lettuce survive a foot of snow and temperatures
of 16 F this spring - so you can probably grow it for a
considerable time after your first frost, maybe into
December.

Pat
Old 25-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Aaron Baugher

"harold steig" writes:

I had great luck with lettuce this spring growing black seeded
simpson and salad bowl. Now that the rest of the salad vegges are
getting ripe my lettuce is about done. I live in central WI and we
do get warm days 85 to 95 with night time temps in the 60's

Do you think i can get another batch of simpson to grow this year ?
I could water daily and put a cover over it about 12 inches above
ground to shade it from the sun.

I'm going to plant several kinds of lettuce in about a week, here in
central Illinois. I think you'd get a crop if you planted now, as
long as you don't get an unusually early frost. Someone actually in
your area might know for sure.

--
Aaron

Old 25-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:21:34 -0500, Aaron Baugher
wrote:

I'm going to plant several kinds of lettuce in about a week, here in
central Illinois. I think you'd get a crop if you planted now, as
long as you don't get an unusually early frost. Someone actually in
your area might know for sure.

Lettuce is very frost-hardy. Last spring, my lettuce
survived temperatures of 16F. It was in pots too, it didn't
even have the protection of its roots being in the ground.

Pat
Old 26-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Mike Stevenson

I just recently planted my lettuce crop for the fall here in Zone 6b. The
young plants are sprouting all over the place. I "missed" the chance to
plant them earlier in the season, though if I had realized the mid to late
spring / early summer was going to be so cool and wet I definately could
have gotten a good crop earlier in the year. Lettuce loves cool
temperatures, and will thrive during the spring and the fall, possibly
winter in some southern zones. The trick as I understand it is to plant the
lettuce so it begins to mature during cool weather, to prevent it from
"bolting" and becomming bitter.