Old 26-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Warren

Default Wave Petunias

Lee wrote:

They start out very nice - I.... had them in the ground and in less
than a month, as the season gets hotter and hotter, they start
getting long, stringy, and very weedy with a few blossoms on the end.
then the leaves die along the long vines. I doubt if i will mess with
them again! however i did give them a haircut yesterday hoping to get
new growth. I am in zone 7 NE TX

I was suckered in by the marketing, and planted three groupings of three
Wave petunias. In each of the three groups, one of the plants suddenly
died. One died before the heatwave. The other two died in the heat. The
remaining six have not spread like the marketing suggests, either.

I also bought two full flats of whatever cheap petunias the one-stop
shopping store had on sale, and used them to create a bunch of
color-spot containers, and to fill in a dull area. I planted these with
the idea that I never seem to take care of my containers well (either
over-watering or forgetting to water them), and I just wanted something
cheap with color. These cheap petunias are universally doing better than
the expensive Wave petunias nearby.

I won't be spending premium dollars on Wave petunias next year. I'd be
leery about buying them for the same price as the cheap flats, for that
matter.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.