Old 23-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Julie

Default Wave Petunias

Hi, just found this ng and hope you can help me. We have quite a few wave
petunias, most are looking wonderful, but a few have withered up and died.
They look great one day then the next the foliage and vines seem to just
start dieing. The flowers will still look good for a few days though. We
keep them well watered and fertilized. It just seems strange that one plant
will die just like that and one next to it will go on and on looking just
great. Any suggestions? Julie

Old 23-07-2003, 10:42 PM
BT

Two out of five of my wave petunias got attacked by slugs and withered up and
died. The Misty Lilac wave petunias don't seem to be liked as much by the slugs
and they are doing great.

BT

Old 25-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Barbara Yanus

I have had no luck with Wave Petunias. I read where they like to be planted
in the ground so they can spread easier. Although, one of the greenhouses
in town, has beautiful ones in a hanging planter on the wall.

Bebra

NE PA
zone 6b?

Old 26-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Lee

"Barbara Yanus" wrote in message ...
I have had no luck with Wave Petunias. I read where they like to be planted
in the ground so they can spread easier. Although, one of the greenhouses
in town, has beautiful ones in a hanging planter on the wall.

Bebra

NE PA
zone 6b?

I am repeating part of a post written earlier in this thread as that
is my experience, too:

They start out very nice - I.... had them in the ground and in less
than a month, as the season gets hotter and hotter, they start
getting long, stringy, and very weedy with a few blossoms on the end.
then the leaves die along the long vines. I doubt if i will mess with
them again! however i did give them a haircut yesterday hoping to get
new growth. I am in zone 7 NE TX
love..lee
Old 26-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Don

This is my second year with them in Toronto Canada - area 5 and I have
had no problems. They have been great .

Old 26-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Warren

Lee wrote:

They start out very nice - I.... had them in the ground and in less
than a month, as the season gets hotter and hotter, they start
getting long, stringy, and very weedy with a few blossoms on the end.
then the leaves die along the long vines. I doubt if i will mess with
them again! however i did give them a haircut yesterday hoping to get
new growth. I am in zone 7 NE TX

I was suckered in by the marketing, and planted three groupings of three
Wave petunias. In each of the three groups, one of the plants suddenly
died. One died before the heatwave. The other two died in the heat. The
remaining six have not spread like the marketing suggests, either.

I also bought two full flats of whatever cheap petunias the one-stop
shopping store had on sale, and used them to create a bunch of
color-spot containers, and to fill in a dull area. I planted these with
the idea that I never seem to take care of my containers well (either
over-watering or forgetting to water them), and I just wanted something
cheap with color. These cheap petunias are universally doing better than
the expensive Wave petunias nearby.

I won't be spending premium dollars on Wave petunias next year. I'd be
leery about buying them for the same price as the cheap flats, for that
matter.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 27-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Don

I am in Zone 5, Southern Ontario. Last year planted them in a small
circular garden around a small Maple tree. They were great for that
application. They totally covered the ground with a mat of flowers.
Last year was one of near record temperatures here - many days in the
mid 90's.

This year I have done the same thing. It has ben much cooler and
wetter, but the Wave's are still doing great.

Don