Old 26-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Is this a Bonsai?

"Mark R. Ensign" wrote:

Wow! What great responses I received to my inquiry. I'm very grateful
to all who responded for your comments and guidance.

snip

The seller has assured me that he is changing his packing methods. I
expect him to be offering similar plants in the future on eBay. That is
what really concens me - people will see my feedback and be taken in as
I was. Perhaps I won't leave any feedback. But at least, from your
comments, I won't describe what he offers as not a bonsai.

Definitely put in negative feedback in capital letters. If it happens enough
they'll kick his sorry butt out!

Perhaps technically his definition is okay and the plant corresponds to
his definition. But it is nothing like what I have purchased on eBay
very successfully.

I have purchased 8 to 10 plants on eBay in the two last months as I
began exploring this world of bonsai.

I bought a few plants on eBay when I first started. Only one survived, but that
was beause of my ineptitude, not the seller. The seller actually was very good.
The one that survived was a S. African puzzle bush (Ehretia rigida) which is still
humming along three years later. Don't buy anything over eBay. You are taking a
chance, as you have discovered. There *must* be some kind of garden center near
you. And, there are some really good bonsai people in Texas too who can help
you. Leave eBay for baseball cards and that sort of thing.

snip

Mark R. Ensign
Amarillo, TX

Craig Cowing