Old 27-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Steve

Default Blc. Harlequin 'Clare'

I haven't posted anything here in ages, though I always read what
everyone else has to say.

Does anyone else have Blc. Harlequin 'Clare'? I would bet not but
thought I would ask.

No question, just some pictures to share.

Here's a picture taken last November. This is how it always looks when
it blooms under my lights in the basement:
http://stevewilson.homestead.com/fil...quinClare2.jpg

Now compare, the exact same plant that happened to bloom when it was
outside for the summer (now):
http://stevewilson.homestead.com/fil...quinClare7.jpg

Outside, this one goes in full afternoon sun. It gets shade from mid
morning until about 1:30 PM then no shade at all until the sun sets at
about 8:30. Normally I might have moved it to more shade to protect the
bud but I decided to let it bake and see what it did for the color.

This plant is nearly 50% Cattleya dowiana, which explains why it can
take light that would burn most of my Catts to death. The next most
common species in its background is L. tenebrosa at 25%.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern NY