Old 27-07-2003, 03:12 AM
B & J

Default Azalea's won't bloom (again)

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Mine have not bloomed in two years. The deer keep trimming all my
azaleas throughout the winter. I've tried using the deer-off sprays,
but they soon wear off. Anyone like venison and have a gun?
:-(

I had the same problem until I put a chicken wire barrier around each of the
plants and well as a piece over the top. I kept the deer away for a couple
years that way until we enclosed our yard with an electric fence. We didn't
have a problem for over a year when the deer learned they could come in
through the front and did a number on my Oriental lilies. I then used a
single strand of fine wire across the front at night and another strand in
front of the bed. The deer broke the wires once and stayed away after that.
BTW, the wire is fine aluminum, which the deer seem unable to see or sense
until they walk into it. It doesn't pack much of a jolt because I've walked
into it a couple of times. It did get my attention though. GRIN

John