Old 27-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Lynn Smythe

Default Definition of "Organic"

I know if you want to sell produce from your garden and have it be listed as
organically grown you have to go through your states certification process.
Here in Florida I think that means that you have to practice organic
gardening practices for a minimun of 3 years before you can even apply to be
certified organic.

Way too much trouble and red tape to go through for a small time garden like
I have at the present time. I do practice organic gardening though and let
anyone getting stuff from my garden (mostly neighbors getting herbs) know
that no harmful chemicals or pesticides were used. To fertilize my garden I
use either fish or seaweed emulsion. I have two large compost bins to
recycle most yard and kitchen waste and my husband built me a rainbarrel to
circumvent our nasty filtered well water.

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
e-mail:
website:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lynnsmythe

"Todd" wrote in message
What is the definition of an "Organic" garden? Is it just sans pesticides,
or add only certain things to the garden? And to have an "Organic" garden,
is there a certification?

I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. Zone 6. . . I think.
Thanks,
Todd

---

---