Old 27-07-2003, 04:12 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Bonsai Journal - Summer (Mostly a RANT)

As one of the "collect with collectors" authors for this issue, and an ABS
member, I feel I should respond a bit.

My article on collecting wild hackberrys and winged elms in Tulsa , Ok. with
Pat Coen/Mikle Finnigan was from personal experience this earely spring.
They found ( observed) these trees growing on a farmers cattle range and
approached him about collecting. He was glad to get rid of them and they
enjoy a great relationship with him which includes gifts of tasty food
items as thanks. The holes are immediately filled upon collecting. At the
speed which they can be collected they will be there MMMAANNNYYY years just
collecting off one tiny area of this ranchers personal property.

As for collecting with Jim Doyle, the collecting is done on HIS OWN PROPERTY
at his nursery! from stock amongst overgrown old fields. I guess I don't
need to defend that any more!

I can't speak for the others collectors arrangements.

If this raffle works out well I thought of joining in the next time with a
collecting trip locally for Taxus from one of my favorite sites. I simply
pay the land owner to hand dig some of his trees.

As with most rants....this one wasn't thought out well. ( believe me....I
recognize one not thought out well! :)

The comment about "cleaned out areas" was a bit out of context with the rest
of the statement. What "was" is past,..... what is "now" is important.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy
Wild Things Bonsai Studio
Yakimono no Kokoro Bonsai Pottery