Old 27-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Hmmm was/ Is this a Bonsai?

By definition, if I were to leave the Japanese influence
behind and start
doing other styling, selection, potting, etc, techniques and

following
rewritten rules, I would no longer doing Bonsai.

I dunno. If you write a play set to music, complete with

recitative & arias,
but it isn't in Italian & doesn't follow classic Italian

styling, is it still
an opera?
If you make an object out of a folded square of paper, but you

depart from
traditional Japanese rules, is it still origami?
If you create a modern American picture out of little squares

of plastic with a
glue that was invented five years ago, is it still a mosaic?
Iris,

Thanks, Iris. Saves me from starting ANOTHER fight by making it
unnecessary to pick apart that holey (as in filled with holes)
argument. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++