Old 27-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Roy Bailey

Default Help with apples?

In article , andrewpreece
writes
I believe that if the tree was grown from a pip then it ( and its apples )
are effectively unidentifiable, so there may be no answer. As I understand
it named varieties are more or less "cloned" by propagating on by cuttings
grafted onto to various suitable rootstocks.

Yes, quite right. Last year a friend of mine found a small apple tree
growing up through a hawthorn bush right alongside the M4. The apples on
it were absolutely delicious, so I grafted some shoots onto half
standard rootstock, and one day we shall have some full-sized trees of
this lovely apple.

You don't say where you live, Jani, but if it's anywhere near here I
would be happy to graft some of the shoots for you. Now is the time of
year for budding, which I haven't tried doing; normal grafting is done
in the late winter just before the new growth starts, using the previous
years growth.

I'm sure you can find someone near you who would undertake this. It's
important to do this as the tree could die or be cut down and then a
unique variety is lost.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.