Old 25-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Jani

Default Help with apples?

Hi everyone,

'Scuse me dropping in unannounced, but I've baffled the people on
uk.religion.pagan, and they've sent me over here to the experts :-)

There's an apple tree down the road, planted presumably by the council years
ago, and since no-one ever makes any use of the crop I thought I wouldn't
let it go to waste this year. Anyways, I nabbed one of the apples the other
day to see if they were ripe, and I'm not sure what I've got here. It has
pinkish flesh near the core and the pips are the most gorgeous crimson
colour - admittedly my experience of apples is confined to the fruit and veg
section at Morrisons, but I've never seen apples with red pips before.

The fruit started off with dark, shiny burgundy-coloured skin and as they
grew, that gave way to much rougher yellowish-greenish-brown skin. They're
about the size of a Cox's pippin, don't have much flavour, and a sort of
soft woody texture.

Can anyone help? I've no idea what they are, apart from "some sort of apple"

Thanks

Jani

Old 25-07-2003, 11:22 PM
anton

Jani wrote in message ...
[...]

There are thousands of sorts of apple. In the autumn, there are
lots of apple day events, and at some of those you can get
apples identified- it's easier if you can take threee examples along, not
just one.

You can also get apples identifed for a fee at brogdale

www.brogdale.org.uk/

--
Anton

Old 25-07-2003, 11:43 PM
bnd777

I have a huge variety all about 28 yrs old and i dont recognise it
I would suggest its a very old variety
Theres few that have pink flesh in the middle tho so it should not take too
much sleuthing
Discovery is one with pink flesh but its always green /red/yellow on outside
never burgundy and it does not have red pips

Old 26-07-2003, 12:12 AM
andrewpreece

I believe that if the tree was grown from a pip then it ( and its apples )
are effectively unidentifiable, so there may be no answer. As I understand
it named varieties are more or less "cloned" by propagating on by cuttings
grafted onto to various suitable rootstocks. Seeds can be very variable, see
the "potato seeds" thread lower down for confirmation of that.

Andy.

Old 26-07-2003, 09:02 PM

"Jani" wrote in
:

Hi everyone,

'Scuse me dropping in unannounced, but I've baffled the people on
uk.religion.pagan, and they've sent me over here to the experts :-)

Lo Jani!
I must have missed that thread.
Small world, eh?

F - lurking under a greenhouse bench.

Old 27-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , andrewpreece
writes
I believe that if the tree was grown from a pip then it ( and its apples )
are effectively unidentifiable, so there may be no answer. As I understand
it named varieties are more or less "cloned" by propagating on by cuttings
grafted onto to various suitable rootstocks.

Yes, quite right. Last year a friend of mine found a small apple tree
growing up through a hawthorn bush right alongside the M4. The apples on
it were absolutely delicious, so I grafted some shoots onto half
standard rootstock, and one day we shall have some full-sized trees of
this lovely apple.

You don't say where you live, Jani, but if it's anywhere near here I
would be happy to graft some of the shoots for you. Now is the time of
year for budding, which I haven't tried doing; normal grafting is done
in the late winter just before the new growth starts, using the previous
years growth.

I'm sure you can find someone near you who would undertake this. It's
important to do this as the tree could die or be cut down and then a
unique variety is lost.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 29-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Jani

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , andrewpreece
writes
[...]

I'm in Shropshire, which is a bit of a ways from you

Thanks to everyone who responded, I'll see if I can get it identified and
then see about finding someone local who understands grafting ...

Jani

Old 29-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Jani

"F" wrote in message
"Jani" wrote in
:

Hi everyone,

'Scuse me dropping in unannounced, but I've baffled the people on
uk.religion.pagan, and they've sent me over here to the experts :-)

Lo Jani!
I must have missed that thread.
Small world, eh?

Heya F

It was a very small thread sandwiched between a lot of big crossposts ..

Jani

Apples Bill726 Gardening 1 24-02-2003 05:15 AM
Cox's apples sparky United Kingdom 9 14-01-2003 07:54 PM
Disfigured bramley apples. Johnathan United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 10:28 AM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM
Apples again anton United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 11:44 PM