Old 28-07-2003, 07:12 AM
Pierre-Normand Houle

Default What can I breed?

"b." wrote in message news:v80Va.12068$ff.11083@fed1read01...
I have a 55g planted tank and I am currently looking for a unique fish to
breed within it. The fish that I currently have in this tank are about 20
glow light tetras, 15 neons, 4 SAE's, red tail shark and 4 corys. I was
looking for a fish that is easy to breed but not prolific (ie guppy, platy).
If anyone has an idea for a nice size fish that would look good in this tank
please let me know what it is and where I can find info on it. Thanks.

Maybe gouramis such as dwarf (colisa lalia) or pearl (trichogaster leeri)... You
could have one or two males and at least two females. They're very beautiful and
peaceful. The male will chase other fish and the females away when he builds or take
care of the bubble nest but he will not inflict any damage, provided the females can
hide in the plants. As soon as the bubble nest is removed, the male becomes peaceful
again. They will populate the upper level of your tank, which your other fish don't
use much. They breed quite readily when well housed and well fed.

Dwarf gouramis have a reputation of being excessively shy. However, in a well planted
tank with contains some floating plants (such as riccia or water sprite), they seldom
hide.

Here are some nice pictures of both species:

http://www.r-haemmerle.de/sites/colisa_lalia.htm

http://www.warady.home.ro/gourami.htm

http://www.akwafoto.pl/fotoreport/zabrze2002/inne2.php