Old 28-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Jim Brown

Default What can I breed?

b. wrote in message
news:v80Va.12068$ff.11083@fed1read01...
I have a 55g planted tank and I am currently looking for a unique fish to
breed within it. The fish that I currently have in this tank are about 20
glow light tetras, 15 neons, 4 SAE's, red tail shark and 4 corys. I was
looking for a fish that is easy to breed but not prolific (ie guppy,

platy).
If anyone has an idea for a nice size fish that would look good in this

tank
please let me know what it is and where I can find info on it. Thanks.

Trying to get fish to spawn in a community tank isn't very productive. To
raise fish in this tank, you need parental care and that probably narrows it
down to cichlids. Easy to breed would be one of the krib group of cichlids.
Maybe angels?
Some of the less often seen Corydoras catfish? There are also a lot of
livebearers, like the Goodeids that could fit the bill.
Many of the other fish produce fry that are too tiny.
It might be easier to get a second smaller aquarium for breeding, and add
the juveniles to you existing tank when they are large enough.

Jim