Old 28-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Eclipse lighting

(Kevsmom2000) wrote:

I'm interested in using an Eclipse filter on my 29 gallon soon-to-be planted
tank. Can it handle lights strong enough to provide 3 watts per gallon? Or has
anyone had experience with retrofitting it so it can?

The lighting that comes with the Eclipse, as you know, isn't really up
to the task of a planted tank. However, retro-fitting isn't that hard.

I've got an Eclipse 2 hood on a 20 gallon tank. I considered replacing
the existing lighting fixture of the Eclipse, but decided that I'd be
better off leaving it alone. There is a sizeable gap between the
lighting module in the front and the filtration in the back. I put a
lighting fixture in it.

I used the "2 x 13 Watt Deluxe Bright Kit" and two 6400K bulbs from AH
Supply (
www.ahsupply.com). This brought my total tank light up to 56
watts - pretty much three watts per net gallon.

The cost was $40, plus extras that I got at the local hardware store,
such as plexiglass to make a splash guard, and heavy duty stiff wire
to make hangers. I also extended the kit wires so that I could put the
ballasts well away from the tank.

If you've got any skill at all with simple wiring tools, it's a really
easy thing to put together. AH gives nice clear directions, too.

--
www.ericschreiber.com