Old 28-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Snow bells

On 27 Jul 2003 16:16:48 GMT, (Amberinauburn)
wrote:

Snowbells. I am trying to find a source for 'snow bells'. Someone told me that
that was the name of the flowers. They were planted underneath the Bay window
in my old house. I used to love seeing them sprout very early in the spring,
sometimes even coming up thru a light scattering of snow. They were tiny little
white flowers with yellow or orange in side if I remember correctly. I asked a
friend what they were and she said snow bells. When I did a search for snow
bells I get a listing of weird trees.

snip

We USAsians are at a disadvantage in plant ID because we use so many
'common' names, which may be given to many completely different
plants. I just Googled for *images* of

snow bells
snowbells
snowdrops

and turned up photos of many quite different plants (as well as a lot
of non-plant images). However, you might give it a shot. Around here
(zone 7b or 8) 'Snowdrops' are some of the earliest-blooming bulbs,
coming between Crocus and Daffodils. They have narrow-leafed foliage
and single or multiple bell-shaped white flowers. The flowers are very
similar, come to think of it, to Lily of the Valley, but somewhat
larger.