Old 27-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Amberinauburn

Default Snow bells

Snowbells. I am trying to find a source for 'snow bells'. Someone told me that
that was the name of the flowers. They were planted underneath the Bay window
in my old house. I used to love seeing them sprout very early in the spring,
sometimes even coming up thru a light scattering of snow. They were tiny little
white flowers with yellow or orange in side if I remember correctly. I asked a
friend what they were and she said snow bells. When I did a search for snow
bells I get a listing of weird trees. I didn't plant these at my old house,
they were there when we moved in, just like the very pretty purple tulips with
the white edging. We are moving in to a new house in August and I'd like to
plant these. I know enough to know if the plants come up in the spring , I have
to plant them in the fall. But that's about the limit of my knowledge , So I
might be around asking more questions as time goes on.
Thanks for all your help

Amber

Old 27-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

So go and ask that "somebody" the actual species name of their "snowbells"
and search again!!!

I do have a suspicion that you may be alluding to some species or hybrid of
Galanthus.

The bulbs should be available in garden centers in the autumn.

Old 27-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Philip

You know, not everyone actually knows the species names of what they've
planted. Realize that might be a shock to you, but it's far more likely
than not that if a person isn't really into gardening they won't. Besides,
if you reread the post you'll see she asked a friend, she didn't say the
friend actually was involved in the planting.

Old 27-07-2003, 07:32 PM
paghat

In article CPTUa.161394$Ph3.19948@sccrnsc04, "Philip"
wrote:

You know, not everyone actually knows the species names of what they've
planted. Realize that might be a shock to you, but it's far more likely
than not that if a person isn't really into gardening they won't.

Still, Cereoid's advice was good advice, as many plants share common
names. And to care for a plant properly sort of requires knowing what it
actually is, as there is no generic way to take care of all plants.
Certainly to ask other gardeners for advice sort of requires letting them
know what you're asking about.

I keep a running garden diary that begins with all thei nformation on a
tag & when I planted it. I jot down in the garden diary changes &
developments for each plant I observe over time, & from the garden diary I
even create web-pages about each plant in my garden, updating the pages
whenever as experience with given species deepens or changes. For me at
least it adds a great deal of enjoyment to know the species & where it was
originally native to in the world, or if a hybrid cultivar who developed
it when & how long it has been gardened, folklore or medicinal or culinary
associations, & so on, none of which is possible -- not proper care, not
deepening knowledge -- without first knowing the species.

The "Snowbells" you asked about could be any number of things.This native
southwestern shrub is called snowbells:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/e...s/txsnowbe.jpg
This little slow-spreading groundcover is commonly called alpine snow bells:
http://www.paghat.com/snowbells.html
The snowflake lily is sometimes called dewdrops or summer snowbells:
http://www.paghat.com/snowflake.html

-paghat the ratgirl

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
So go and ask that "somebody" the actual species name of their "snowbells"
and search again!!!

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 28-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

If you have nothing useful nor relevant to say, Philpot, you can just sit
down and shut up like a good little boy. It is not at all a shock to know
that the world is full of self-righteous idiots like you. You just may get
your turn on the Jerry Springer Show some day!!!

I did suggest the plant is probably a Galanthus but you removed that portion
of my reply because you admit that are nothing more than a troublemaking
troll with no interest in gardening. Since you are neither the person who
asked the question nor have a clue as to the answer, you are not entitled to
stick you nose in other people's discussions, Philarse.

Old 28-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Amberinauburn

Actually that isn't possible. I don't live in that town anymore and the
'somebody ' has moved. I don't know where and your right, that person didn't
have anything to do with the planting. She was a friend and part of the reason
I asked here was I have found out she often made up answers if she didn't know
the real answer. I grew up in Florida and lots of the plants and flowers I have
here don't grow there.
Thank you all for trying to help me, I guess I'll just go on looking. I just
didn't want to stroll into a garden center,/nursery and demand 'snowbells' and
then get all upset when they told me they needed more information. I do try not
to look as stupid as I sometimes feel. I wish I lived close enough to sneak
over and take a picture of the snowbells but last time I went near my old house
I almost burst into tears. When we moved there I planted a lilac tree under the
upstairs bedroom window. The year we left it would have been big enough to see
straight out the window. I was dreaming about sleeping in bed and waking to
smell the wonderful scent of lilacs out side my bedroom window. Well that never
happened, the person who bought my house dug up the lilacs and threw them
out!!!
She also dug up the front flowers beds and tossed out the tulips and daffodils
and everything else I planted there, I talked to the lady across the street
and she said the place certainly didn't look like it did when I had lived
there. I planted over 200 tulips in the front flower bed and everyone was gone.
Amber

Old 28-07-2003, 09:02 AM
J. Lane

Hi Amber,
I'm not sure, but I think what you might be looking for is actually a
crocus( they come in purple and yellow too). If it's not that then maybe
Snowdrops, but they don't have orange centers. They hang like a bell and
have green inner petals.
My only two sources are both Canadian:
www.veseys.com
www.BrecksBulbs.ca

--
Jayel

Old 28-07-2003, 03:22 PM

snow drops. van englen for large amounts http://www.vanengelen.com/
or their retail outlet scheepers. http://www.johnscheepers.com/
Galanthus

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 28-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Some Galanthus (and Leucojum) have the tepals tipped with yellow instead of
green. Galanthus nivalis var. flavescens, G.nivalis var. lutescens and
Leucojum vernum var. carpathicum are examples.

. ca...

Old 28-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

I suggested that the plant was probably a Galanthus.

Didn't you bother to read the rest of the message before going off on a
tangent?

Old 29-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Philip

Stick it, jerkboy.

I deleted the part of your original post simply because I was trimming for
space. Your suggestion, worded within your condescending little diatribe,
didn't go unnoticed, it just bore no need for commenting on. What bore
commenting on was your needless attack on someone who had turned to a group
of knowledgeable gardeners for information. As to being a troll, you
dimwitted, arrogant little excuse for a human, I've been posting off and on
for quite a while, but I usually don't bother since there are plenty of
people who answer questions from those who don't garden without sounding
like they have a stick up their bum. You, on the other hand, must have a
real case of piles by now.

By the way, just to quote a really bad example of both grammar and logic,
you said
I did suggest the plant is probably a Galanthus but you removed that

portion
of my reply because you admit that are nothing more than a troublemaking
troll with no interest in gardening.

Since I said nothing at all about my involvement with gardening, and since I
must assume that the thrust of your sentence is that I have no interest in
gardening, it becomes apparent that you are truly a clueless and pompous
jerk. I've been gardening on my own for over 30 years, after having spent
the prior 18 years learning gardening from my grandfather and father, and
assisting my next-door neighbor with his vineyard.

. com...

Old 29-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

No matter how you cut it, you are still a rutting troll, Philistine.

off-topic self-righteous crap that shows what a piece of worthless shit you
really are. So what if you have been pulling weeds for over 30 years? Even a
trained chimp could do a better job of it than you. Every dimwit like you
that can dig a hole in dirt thinks they are gardeners. It takes a lot more
than that, you clueless phony. You must be a real disappointment to your
father and grandfather.