Old 28-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Simon Avery

Default New Pump

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

Hello Rodney

Price for the higher power pumps seem to rise dramatically
though. I've used twin smaller pumps (200watt general
purpose submersibles, not something badged as "pond"
because that seems to put the price up for no particular

RP A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you Simon but
RP with the new ranges things have changed. For example the
RP Maximus 9000 can shift 9080lph, has a maximum head of 5.5m
RP and only uses 150watts so can be run for about œ75 per year.
RP It can be got for about œ110 from various places on the web.

Wow, that's damned impressive - looks like things have definately
changed recently.

RP I had a look at screwfix and their pumps are from 200 to 300
RP watts and shift 7500lph. Yes they are cheaper to buy but
RP even the 200 watt one costs an extra œ25 per year to run and
RP over the life of the pump it can more than cover the
RP difference.

F'sure, I have their 200watt pump which is lovely. Maybe my maths is a
bit rusty, but I budgeted 50-60ukp/year running 24/7. Hard to notice
in the general noise though.

RP I agree with your point about two pumps, we have one for the
RP waterfall and one for the filter so if one fails there is
RP water flow while it's replaced.

One thing you tend to learn the hard way is to keep the electrical
connection close to the pump, at least if you've buried the supply,
and to use decent re-usable connectors. Quick job to replace a broken
pump then, instead of having to rip up half a patio...