Old 26-07-2003, 02:42 PM
graham

Default New Pump

I am having to replace my nursery pro pump, I need something that will
deliver around 600gph to the top of a 6 ft water fall with 1in tubing. I am
looking at the OASE Nautilus 30 as a replacement, am I on the right track or
not

Old 26-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Simon Avery

"graham" wrote:

Hello graham

g I am having to replace my nursery pro pump, I need something
g that will deliver around 600gph to the top of a 6 ft water
g fall with 1in tubing. I am looking at the OASE Nautilus 30
g as a replacement, am I on the right track or not

Dunno where you're from, but if the UK then Screwfix are doing a
submersible clean water pump for under 50ukp. Been running mine fine
for a year now.

Old 27-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Rodney Pont

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:40:24 GMT, graham wrote:

I am having to replace my nursery pro pump, I need something that will
deliver around 600gph to the top of a 6 ft water fall with 1in tubing. I am
looking at the OASE Nautilus 30 as a replacement, am I on the right track or
not

Below is a rough guide on rating a pump.

You can calculate the effect of the pipe on the flow using the chart at
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/flowchart.html. At 600gph down 100ft of
pipe you would loose 6.02psi. For 30ft this is about 2psi, multiply
this by 2.3 to get the height, this gives us 4.6ft, add this to the
height of the waterfall and we get 10.6 feet.

Note the tables are for smooth plastic pipe and if you are using pipe
that isn't smooth inside it will slow the flow dramatically.

So assuming you have 30 foot of 1 inch pipe you need a pump that can
deliver 600 gallons per hour at a head of 10.6ft.

I don't know the Nautilus 30 (I'm in the UK) but the Nautilus 3000
would only be pumping 56gph at this height, 385gph at 6 foot so if
these are the same pump then no, it won't manage. Look at something
like the Otter Maximus 5000, Tetra GPX7000, Blagdon P8000 or Laguna
Power Jet 7000. The Tetra one is 235 watts so not very efficient
compared to the Otter at 95 watts. The pumps are just ones I have got
on my shortlist for the waterfall here, no doubt there are others. The
NMautilus 6000 would do as would the Aquarius 5000E.

Hope this is useful, it's only a guide though and in the end it's your
choice.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

Old 27-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Simon Avery

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

Hello Rodney

RP Below is a rough guide on rating a pump.

snip

Useful stuff.

RP I don't know the Nautilus 30 (I'm in the UK) but the
RP Nautilus 3000 would only be pumping 56gph at this height,
RP 385gph at 6 foot so if these are the same pump then no, it
RP won't manage. Look at something like the Otter Maximus 5000,

Price for the higher power pumps seem to rise dramatically though.
I've used twin smaller pumps (200watt general purpose submersibles,
not something badged as "pond" because that seems to put the price up
for no particular reason) to gain an equivalent output for less than a
single big pump. Gives an advantage in that if one does break and the
pump is producing oxygen, you don't have to panic to get another in
before all the fish die.

Just a thought.

Old 28-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:34:15 GMT, Simon Avery wrote:

Price for the higher power pumps seem to rise dramatically though.
I've used twin smaller pumps (200watt general purpose submersibles,
not something badged as "pond" because that seems to put the price up
for no particular reason) to gain an equivalent output for less than a =

single big pump. Gives an advantage in that if one does break and the
pump is producing oxygen, you don't have to panic to get another in
before all the fish die.

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you Simon but with the
new ranges things have changed. For example the Maximus 9000 can shift
9080lph, has a maximum head of 5.5m and only uses 150watts so can be
run for about =9C75 per year. It can be got for about =9C110 from variou=
places on the web. Even last year I couldn't find anything this
efficient and the new this year Otter Olympus range looks good too.

I had a look at screwfix and their pumps are from 200 to 300 watts and
shift 7500lph. Yes they are cheaper to buy but even the 200 watt one
costs an extra =9C25 per year to run and over the life of the pump it ca=
more than cover the difference.

I agree with your point about two pumps, we have one for the waterfall
and one for the filter so if one fails there is water flow while it's
replaced.

Old 28-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Simon Avery

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

Hello Rodney

Price for the higher power pumps seem to rise dramatically
though. I've used twin smaller pumps (200watt general
purpose submersibles, not something badged as "pond"
because that seems to put the price up for no particular

RP A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you Simon but
RP with the new ranges things have changed. For example the
RP Maximus 9000 can shift 9080lph, has a maximum head of 5.5m
RP and only uses 150watts so can be run for about œ75 per year.
RP It can be got for about œ110 from various places on the web.

Wow, that's damned impressive - looks like things have definately
changed recently.

RP I had a look at screwfix and their pumps are from 200 to 300
RP watts and shift 7500lph. Yes they are cheaper to buy but
RP even the 200 watt one costs an extra œ25 per year to run and
RP over the life of the pump it can more than cover the
RP difference.

F'sure, I have their 200watt pump which is lovely. Maybe my maths is a
bit rusty, but I budgeted 50-60ukp/year running 24/7. Hard to notice
in the general noise though.

RP I agree with your point about two pumps, we have one for the
RP waterfall and one for the filter so if one fails there is
RP water flow while it's replaced.

One thing you tend to learn the hard way is to keep the electrical
connection close to the pump, at least if you've buried the supply,
and to use decent re-usable connectors. Quick job to replace a broken
pump then, instead of having to rip up half a patio...

Old 28-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Rodney Pont

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:59:46 GMT, Simon Avery wrote:

RP I had a look at screwfix and their pumps are from 200 to 300
RP watts and shift 7500lph. Yes they are cheaper to buy but
RP even the 200 watt one costs an extra =9C25 per year to run and
RP over the life of the pump it can more than cover the
RP difference.

F'sure, I have their 200watt pump which is lovely. Maybe my maths is a =

bit rusty, but I budgeted 50-60ukp/year running 24/7. Hard to notice
in the general noise though.

How long do they last and do they still use a shaft driven impeller? My
neighbour used to use this type of pump but made by Lotus (not the
current range). They had the shaft sealed by a rubber gasket and that
only seemed to last for a couple of years. By the time enough moisture
got in to trigger the trip the motor was too rusted up to repair. These
new pumps normally have a three year guarantee as well so I'd expect
them to last for five years at least. I had an Eheim filter for the
aquarium that had a magnetically driven impeller and that lasted for at
least ten years so it would be nice if these last for a similar time.

I didn't actually calculate the cost to run, I saw it on a web site
somewhere that it was half the wattage per year. I think I'd better get
my bill out and work out how much the electricity does cost :-) it
certainly won't be anywhere near what the freezer costs to run.

One thing you tend to learn the hard way is to keep the electrical
connection close to the pump, at least if you've buried the supply,
and to use decent re-usable connectors. Quick job to replace a broken
pump then, instead of having to rip up half a patio...

Agreed, we use the waterproof plugin pond pump connectors in a hole
(with a drain) by the side of the waterfall, it's covered by a stone
and looks part of the landscaping. We got one of the Hozelock
connectors last year but they don't have a cover like the screw ones so
you can't leave it unconnected. The spring in the release mechanism
also sticks now so it looks as though a Blagdon one will go in soon if
they have a screw on cover.

Old 30-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Simon Avery

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

Hello Rodney

F'sure, I have their 200watt pump which is lovely. Maybe my
maths is a bit rusty, but I budgeted 50-60ukp/year running
24/7. Hard to notice in the general noise though.

RP How long do they last and do they still use a shaft driven
RP impeller?

Unsure what the internals are, but almost certainly shaft driven since
anything better tends to be heavily advertised. As for how long they
last, 9 months /so/ far...

I did seriously consider CH pumps, but the plumbing got a bit
complicated and the corrosion issue was a big one I think.

RP made by Lotus (not the current range). They had the shaft
RP sealed by a rubber gasket and that only seemed to last for a
RP couple of years. By the time enough moisture got in to
RP trigger the trip the motor was too rusted up to repair.

I've had a Lotus pond pump before and wasn't too impressed with the
build quality. Their smaller "occasional use" things for water
features seem Ok, and maybe their big pumps are better, but their mid-
range of a few years ago wasn't too good.

RP Agreed, we use the waterproof plugin pond pump connectors in
RP a hole (with a drain) by the side of the waterfall, it's
RP covered by a stone and looks part of the landscaping. We got
RP one of the Hozelock
RP connectors last year but they don't have a cover like the
RP screw ones so you can't leave it unconnected. The spring in
RP the release mechanism also sticks now so it looks as though
RP a Blagdon one will go in soon if
RP they have a screw on cover.

Sounds good. I've not seen a decent waterproof electric plug around
here so I'm using IP65 in-line connectors, heavily smothered with
silicone once put together. Ok so far.

Old 31-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Amanda Pope

As someone who sells a lot of these things online. I can advise you of a
couple of things from a trade perspective

The fewer moving parts the better.We get very few returns from the Blagdon
Amphibious range. ( magnetic movement)

A lot of the new pumps are styled to appeal to the 40 something man. Boys
toys. many are overpriced for the performance. (If it looks like a car or a
trainer then this is a big clue) Beware of gimmick its nearly all marketing.

Linked pump filter systems are to make you buy both from the same
manufacturer. Not necessary at all.

You do get what you pay for. The cheap pumps with exception of the Trident
Otter range are just that.

Do not ever buy the really cheap Italian ones doing the round in the garden
centres they are a complete waste of money.

Check the cost of spare parts. Ceramic shafts and impellers are often as
expensive as the pump.

Never buy an pump that will be struggling to do the job you want. Always buy
a bigger pump there will be less wear and tear on a pump working under
capacity than flat out.

With that in mind chose solid handling or clear water to suit your filter
system.

Hope this helps.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

. ..

Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Rodney Pont

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:46:41 GMT, Simon Avery wrote:

I did seriously consider CH pumps, but the plumbing got a bit
complicated and the corrosion issue was a big one I think.

I've just seen an advert in Practical Fishkeeping for a plastic
impeller for Grundfos CH pumps so that would solve the corrosion
problem. I suspect that with the price of the conversion they are more
expensive than a proper pond pump though.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Simon Avery

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

Hello Rodney

I did seriously consider CH pumps, but the plumbing got a
bit complicated and the corrosion issue was a big one I
think.

RP I've just seen an advert in Practical Fishkeeping for a
RP plastic impeller for Grundfos CH pumps so that would solve
RP the corrosion problem. I suspect that with the price of the
RP conversion they are more expensive than a proper pond pump
RP though.

I think you're right. I do like submersibles though, so much easier.
With an external pump, which seem to be preferred in America, you need
a dry chamber next to the main pond which is below water level so it
self-primes. Tricky to seal effectively, especially with wildlife type
ponds.