Old 28-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Dave Sheehy

Default Dendrobium crepidiferum

K Barrett ) wrote:
: Keep it sopping wet?! Aack! (Now you know why I don't do dendrobiums!! There
: are just too many variables!)

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that one too. ;-)
I'm still trying figure out how "Growing Tip: Keep moist all the
time.", from Andy's web site translates to sopping wet.

: Well, that's what makes orchids so great. 'Whatever works for you works for
: you' is the law of the land, *G*.

That's very true. On the flip side it also makes trading notes like this a
bit futile. Even so, that doesn't stop us from doing so.

Drifting even farther OT, I think you said you recently said you have a Cirr
Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry' (not sure if you threw it away or are trying to
deal with the bush snails). Anyway, what's your take on its requirements?
What light levels does it need and how wet does it need to stay? Do you
think it can deal with my I-H environment up here in Sacramento?

TIA,

Dave

: K Barrett

: "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: ...
: K Barrett ) wrote:
: : In the 3rd link, top photo (taken by Eric Hunt) you can see the profile
: for
: : sulawesianse/crepidiferm on one of the flowers in the upper left. The
: : nectary has a keel. The flower you mention is taken at an off-angle, and
: : shows the 'ventral' side of the flower - if one can use an animal term
: for a
: : plant, *G* . The lip is rather like how it shows in all pictures. Andy's
: pic
: : does show the crystalline texture, which is a very fine feature of the
: : plant.
:
: : The flower does have a long nectary that extends back from the open
: flower
: : face, about 1-2 cm. Sounds like your petals and sepals are slowly
: opening?
:
: Yes, that seems to be the case.
:
: : In my GH the flower has not trouble opening, not like Den
: victoria-reginae
: : (Purple and white) in which the blooms are all scrunched up together and
: : each individual flower has no room to open fully and diplay its self.
:
: Hey! I thought you didn't do Dendrobiums.
:
: : So I
: : prefer crepidiferum, plus the color is a knock out and the crystalline
: : texture is to die for.
:
: Those are the exact characteristics that I like in this plant!
:
: : What to do in order to get the flowers to open better, I have no idea
: but I
: : can tell you how I grow mine. I have mine in a rather dry corner of the
: GH.
:
: That's probably equivalent to my indoor conditions.
:
: : Its in sphagnum in a clay pot,
:
: That's the way it came potted from Andy's and I've left it that way.
:
: : it gets light as for cattleyas, if not
: : brighter. When I got the award the judges commented that some of the
: leaves
: : were the same color as the flower from the high amount of light I give
: the
: : thing.
:
: We differ here. Andy's cutlural info says it takes low light. So, I have
: it
: in a north window where it gets around 1000 foot candles of light (if I
: hold
: the light meter just right). Yet another reason I bought it was for it's
: low light requirements.
:
: : I water once a week. More if I have time. Rel humidity is 40-80%
: : (yes! quite a fluctuation) and temps are 55-85F. So its tolerant of
: abuse.
: : (Not that it enjoys abuse, just that so far its putting up with me)
:
: Another likely difference. Andy's culture info on the web says to keep it
: moist. But, when I saw Andy at the SF show he said to keep it "sopping
: wet". So, that's what I do now. I had problems with leaf tips browning and
: accordian growth if I let it dry out at all.
:
: : I've
: : been keeping the canes staked upright, although they may look really
: cool
: : laying over, pendant. However the canes are about 2 1/2 feet tall so it
: : would take up a lot of room if allowed to hang (IMHO)
:
: Mine's still small. The largest canes are around 10". I've thought about
: tying the canes up but I can hang it in such a way that I don't have to.
:
: : I hope this helps, its a great plant
:
: It is a great plant. So far, it's been pretty easy too.
:
: Dave
:
: : K Barrett
:
: : "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: : ...
: : K Barrett ) wrote:
: : : http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SF-050702-21.html
: : : http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFA...3/densula.html
: : : http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFJuly%202003/den.html
: :
: : : I hope these pics help you with the shape. Also please note that
: : according
: : : to Christensen the name now is Dendrobium crepidiferum (ick)
: :
: : Thanks Kay, they do help some. The top photo (that you took) in the
: second
: : URL illustrates my question about shape. In the top left corner you
: see a
: : flower in profile that is very trumpet, or cone shaped. That is what
: my
: : flowers are shaped like although they are gradually (very gradually I
: : might
: : add) flattening out. There is a bit of an illusion in the pictures
: which
: : are taken head on. That is, the lip looks very short and squat from
: that
: : perspective when in reality it is not. Again, looking at the flower in
: the
: : top left corner you can see the lip sticking out from the edge of the
: : petals/sepals. Having bought this orchid from the picture at Andy's
: : Orchids
: : I didn't expect it to quite look the way it does. BTW, the picture at
: : Andy's
: : can be found at:
: :
: :
: :
: http://www.andysorchids.com/picturef...s/5168med.jpg&
: : PicId=5168
: :
: : It looks very much like the photos you listed above (except for the
: : silvery
: : sparkles on Andy's photo).
: :
: : Dave
: :
: : : K Barrett
: :
: : : "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: : : ...
: : : Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience that
: I
: : got
: : : from
: : : Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat when
: they
: : : open
: : : but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the flowers
: for
: : your
: : : plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's
: just
: : the
: : : nature of the beast (err... plant).
: : :
: : : TIA,
: : :
: : : Dave