Old 28-07-2003, 08:39 PM
John Rouse

Default Coal in the garden

Having just dug a trench up my drive to put in some kerbstones, I now
have a heap of soft coal, iron ore shale and clay.

Seeing as how the neighbour's tree roots have grown through the coal, I
wondered if I could use it on, or in, the garden, or if the tarry stuff
that oozes out of it might cause problems. Perhaps I should just distill
it and produce my own pesticides, now we can't buy them in the shops?

My wife suggested the coal and shale as a mulch, but they just crumble
to dust so I can't see them lasting long.

Any ideas?

John
--
John Rouse