Old 28-07-2003, 08:39 PM
John Rouse

Default Coal in the garden

Having just dug a trench up my drive to put in some kerbstones, I now
have a heap of soft coal, iron ore shale and clay.

Seeing as how the neighbour's tree roots have grown through the coal, I
wondered if I could use it on, or in, the garden, or if the tarry stuff
that oozes out of it might cause problems. Perhaps I should just distill
it and produce my own pesticides, now we can't buy them in the shops?

My wife suggested the coal and shale as a mulch, but they just crumble
to dust so I can't see them lasting long.

Any ideas?

John
--
John Rouse
Old 29-07-2003, 02:02 PM
andrewpreece

Start a mine; start three in fact. You seem to have all the mineral
resources known to man in your garden. Any diamonds?

Andy ;-)

"John Rouse" wrote in message
Having just dug a trench up my drive to put in some kerbstones, I now
have a heap of soft coal, iron ore shale and clay.

Seeing as how the neighbour's tree roots have grown through the coal, I
wondered if I could use it on, or in, the garden, or if the tarry stuff
that oozes out of it might cause problems. Perhaps I should just distill
it and produce my own pesticides, now we can't buy them in the shops?

My wife suggested the coal and shale as a mulch, but they just crumble
to dust so I can't see them lasting long.

Any ideas?

John
--
John Rouse

Coal Dust? George Robinson United Kingdom 4 21-06-2006 02:42 PM
Coal Soot Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 12 06-06-2005 01:24 PM
Coal Ash help please. Cumberpach United Kingdom 7 08-04-2004 11:04 AM
Coal Ash? Wrench Edible Gardening 9 02-02-2004 07:43 PM
coal bunker as compost heap? SarahH United Kingdom 13 14-09-2003 11:05 PM