Old 28-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Hmmm was/ Is this a Bonsai?

--- Bill Butler wrote:
On 27 Jul 2003 08:54:03 -0700,
(Kitsune Miko) wrote:

I agree with this also, but words change meaning

with usage. (I remember
when gay meant happy.) So if there is a bunch of

stuff called bonsai for
sale that is not (by the classical definition)

bonsai. The common usage of
the word will change. The word mallsai will not

sell as well as
bonsai. I used to talk to nursery managers of all

places where the rocks
were glued on and beg them to stop supporting the

manufacture of these
doomed plants. They would shrug their shoulders

and say that is all they
could get. I talked to the manufacturers of these

abominations and they
said that was the only way they would sell. That

the ones with the loose
soil were not acceptable to the nurseries because

of time required in handling.

Oh I hope the meaning of Bonsai doesn't change to
fit with what people
see at Sam's or Home Depot. I fear you may be
right, however. Any
changes in the public's perception of Bonsai, or the
acceptable use of
the word Bonsai that comes as a result of
dead-sticks-glued-rock trees
cannot be good. The best thing we can do is educate
the public
whereever our trees are shown.

This is why I feel that when these people that have
bought mallsai come here to complain about their
"bonsai" we should be more gentle and less lofty in
our comments back to them. They have an interest.
They can be educated, but if we use the dog training
technique that punnishes the dog for returning when
called, they won't come anymore.

Yes but the sign said it was a bonsai when I bought
it.

Kitsune Miko

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --