Old 28-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Rosemary looking ill

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:25:12 +0200, Gordon Filby wrote:

one by one the twigs (correct name?) of my potted rosemary are loosing their
strong green colour and turning pale...

...It has been very hot (30- 35C)
here over recent weeks. The plant is in a shady position (gets filtered
late evening sun) but on the corner of the house where there might be some
turbulence. It has been kept well watered.

Overwatering is the most likely culprit, but having it in the
shade is no help.

Rosemary is a true mediterranean plant and thrives in conditions
of brilliant sun and fairly dry, lean soil. Note that some
cultivars and forms are hardier than others.

As an emergency therapy, I suggest you take the entire plant,
rootball and all, out of the pot and place it on a newspaper for
a day to let the soil and roots dry out somewhat. Then replace in
the pot and move into a sunnier position. But don't overdo the
sun until the plant returns to health: it is an invalid.

Don't feed it while it is ailing. At this season, rosemary should
be ripening the new growth it formed earlier in the year.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada