Old 28-07-2003, 10:33 PM
David Hill

Default Shreddings

I do wonder about the outcome of all the shredders/chippers we now use.
In the past hedging was done in the winter and all stuff burned.
Now with our great machines winter shredding/chipping is not as good as the
material produced from summer cutting when you have a good mix of old wood,
soft young wood and a generous helping of leaves.
This latter mix composts down so much better but what effect will it have on
hedges over time?
I have been composting in the bulk bags that sand etc now comes in, these
are now non returnable and make great holders for rubbish etc. ^ months in
one of those and then I have a great material for standing pots on in the
frames, good drainage, keeps the weeds down and slugs don't seem to be to
happy walking on it.
If you are going to compost to use as a mulch then I would dress a couple of
times with high nitrogen.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries