Old 28-07-2003, 11:03 PM
AWM

Default replacing conifers

"chaz" wrote in message
I have a small (50') garden, which has conifers down the left hand border.
the soil is free draining , dry and in a shady spot, so what would replace
them so I don't just see bare fence panels, as the confers are looking

past
their best.

chaz

Someone sugested cottonneastor a favourite of mine nice but be careful
because different varietys behave very differently it like holly can also
propogate itself a bit too well.

Here is a few ideas

Cornus (alba Sibirca) -- hardy decidous has locomotive green leaves in
summer and wonderful brilliant red stems can grow to about 8 to 10 feet
if left untrimmed.

Photina fr. " Red Robin" -- evergreen, young leaves are a glossy
brilliant deep red which turn deep bronze green, can be pruned to produce
a bushier plant, after pruning new young shoots are deep red -- grows to 6
to 7 feet if untrimmed..

Connifer Cyprus grows to 6 foot tall x 3 to 4 foot dia if untrimmed bright
lime green in colour look for the ones with a tall "pointy" habit -- I
have a couple of nice ones that started out in those little gift basket
arangements M&S sell at Christmas.

Then of course you could grow Ivy, or a Japanese Acer or even an NZ Tree
Fern.