Old 28-07-2003, 06:13 PM
chaz

Default replacing conifers

I have a small (50') garden, which has conifers down the left hand border.
the soil is free draining , dry and in a shady spot, so what would replace
them so I don't just see bare fence panels, as the confers are looking past
their best.

chaz

Old 28-07-2003, 06:13 PM
JJ

"chaz" wrote in message
I have a small (50') garden, which has conifers down the left hand border.
the soil is free draining , dry and in a shady spot, so what would replace
them so I don't just see bare fence panels, as the confers are looking

past
their best.

chaz

Take them down and replace with hemp - wonderful plant - most useful plant
known to man, with over 5000 uses (I never counted them though ... They
are amazing to look at and can be bushed or grown as small trees - love em!

Old 28-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Essjay001

chaz wrote:
snip
the soil is free draining , dry and in a shady spot,

The top growth probably keeps the sun out while the roots suck the soil dry

Cutting them down is a good move. As to replacements, from my own experiance
I have a really nice cottoneastor (sp?) covering a fence, but it needs to be
kept under control.

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Old 28-07-2003, 09:39 PM
bnd777

What few conifers we ever stupidly planted and then removed we replaced with
2 different species of Bamboos
they are now 8 ft tall in 3 years and look lovely
Pyracantha looks good too and grows fast as does Escallonia
All above are evergreen
Dont know about Hemp will have to look it up

"Essjay001" wrote in message
snip

Old 28-07-2003, 11:03 PM
AWM

"chaz" wrote in message
I have a small (50') garden, which has conifers down the left hand border.
the soil is free draining , dry and in a shady spot, so what would replace
them so I don't just see bare fence panels, as the confers are looking

past
their best.

chaz

Someone sugested cottonneastor a favourite of mine nice but be careful
because different varietys behave very differently it like holly can also
propogate itself a bit too well.

Here is a few ideas

Cornus (alba Sibirca) -- hardy decidous has locomotive green leaves in
summer and wonderful brilliant red stems can grow to about 8 to 10 feet
if left untrimmed.

Photina fr. " Red Robin" -- evergreen, young leaves are a glossy
brilliant deep red which turn deep bronze green, can be pruned to produce
a bushier plant, after pruning new young shoots are deep red -- grows to 6
to 7 feet if untrimmed..

Connifer Cyprus grows to 6 foot tall x 3 to 4 foot dia if untrimmed bright
lime green in colour look for the ones with a tall "pointy" habit -- I
have a couple of nice ones that started out in those little gift basket
arangements M&S sell at Christmas.

Then of course you could grow Ivy, or a Japanese Acer or even an NZ Tree
Fern.

Old 29-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Green Earth

chaz wrote:
I have a small (50') garden, which has conifers down the left hand border.
the soil is free draining , dry and in a shady spot, so what would replace
them so I don't just see bare fence panels, as the confers are looking past
their best.

I have planted some fatsia, mahonia and garrya down the side of my
garden, all evergreen.

Old 31-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Spider

It depends how high and wide you want your hedge.
I have a beautiful hedge of Eleagnus pungens maculata. It is evergreen,
solid and tough. It also has the most handsome green/yellow variegation. It
looks magnificent in the depths of winter. It is capable of reaching 8-10
feet high.
Mine is kept clipped to only 4 feet.
Another option is holly. There are many varieties to choose from and they
repsond well to pruning. A form called Ilex 'J.C. van Tol' has a plain and
a variegated form .. it has both sexes on the one plant, so berries are
assured. However, it is less prickly than basic Ilex aquifolium; this may
be an asset unless you want it as a deterrent.
SPIDER

brown conifers PMAC1727 United Kingdom 2 02-07-2003 12:08 PM
Conifers. Help What can I plant round them? Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:08 PM
Young Leylandii and Lawson conifers, prune and manage David C United Kingdom 3 17-04-2003 10:32 PM
[IBC] conifers seed sowing guidelines Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 06:44 PM
Say goodbye to San Bernardino Mtn. conifers Joe and Julie alt.forestry 4 17-01-2003 08:53 PM