Old 29-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Billy

Default Planting New Shrubs - How to Prepare Soil?

Maybe I should then forget the barrier? What is rototill, and over or under
what does this go?

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
news
I'd do just as you're doing except for a few things. I'd put on the
topsoil
and rototill it in before laying down the weed barrier. Then plan on a

good
mulch of bark or pine straw on top of the barrier material both to hold

the
material in place and enhance the soil even more as well as hold in the
moisture. The barrier may be good, but it's not going to outdo Mother
Nature, guaranteed.
Gary
"Billy" wrote in message
We will be re-planting shrubs, plants & small trees on our front

property
here in NJ. I'm seeking advice on the best way to prepare the land and

soil
for this job.

The approximate area is 25' wide x 10' deep and was recently cleared of

all
the old hedges and small trees- removal, stump grinding and all. The

dirt
on
my property is a hard clay type but this area was softened (dry and

almost
mushy) by the removal work. I recently raked and whacked all weeds

growing
there too. Next, I plan on sealing the area with a plastic weed barrier,
topping with good topsoil, then digging the holes and inserting the
shrubs/plants/trees.

Is the above method correct for starting new plantings? Should I use the
weed barrier? Do I need the topsoil? Will fall be the best time to plant

for
them to survive the winter? Is there anything else I should be doing?

If you have a web site how-to link, that would help me too!