Old 29-07-2003, 07:42 AM
J. Lane

Default Planting New Shrubs - How to Prepare Soil?

Hey Billy,
1) A rototiller is a machine that turns the soil over, which saves you
having to do it by hand.
2) If your soil is pretty heavy clay you need to add a 2" layer of sand to
the topsoil before you use the rototiller or shovel. The sand will help with
the drainage of the soil. Some peat moss wouldn't hurt either (same amount
as the sand).
3) It would also be wise to add a sprinkle of bone meal in every hole that
you plant in. Mix some more in the soil you are filling the hole with.
Hope this helps,
--
Jayel
"Billy" wrote in message
We will be re-planting shrubs, plants & small trees on our front property
here in NJ. I'm seeking advice on the best way to prepare the land and

soil
for this job.

The approximate area is 25' wide x 10' deep and was recently cleared of

all
the old hedges and small trees- removal, stump grinding and all. The dirt

on
my property is a hard clay type but this area was softened (dry and almost
mushy) by the removal work. I recently raked and whacked all weeds growing
there too. Next, I plan on sealing the area with a plastic weed barrier,
topping with good topsoil, then digging the holes and inserting the
shrubs/plants/trees.

Is the above method correct for starting new plantings? Should I use the
weed barrier? Do I need the topsoil? Will fall be the best time to plant

for
them to survive the winter? Is there anything else I should be doing?

If you have a web site how-to link, that would help me too!