Old 29-07-2003, 08:22 PM
J. Del Col

Default Pistachios?

"JNJ" wrote in message ...
Unless you live in a Mediterranean climate, forget about pistachios.

You could grow them in a greenhouse, but they won't make it outside.

The world's leading producers are California and Iran; that should tell

you
a lot about the tree's requirements.

New Zealand is another.

From what I've read they're pretty forgiving on climate. Have you ever
tried growing them outside in other climates?

They won't survive outdoors if their roots freeze. If the soil freezes
where you live, pistachio trees will almost certainly be killed.

BTW, you will need both male and female trees to produce nuts. It
also takes
several years for them to bear.

Buy a few trees and try them, but I wouldn't be too optimistic, unless
you've got someplace to bring them in for the winter.

J. Del Col