Old 28-07-2003, 07:02 AM
JNJ

Default Pistachios?

I'm in Zone 6 and would REALLY like to grow Pistachios (Pistacia vera). As
far as I can tell, it's too chilly up here for Pistacia Vera which has a
hardiness to 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

Our typical winter here is above this threshold. I'm wondering if, with a
little judicious micro-climatization, I couldn't get a few of these to grow
and supply my pistachio habit. Has anyone had any luck with them
outside of the warmer climes?

James

Old 28-07-2003, 03:22 PM
J. Del Col

"JNJ" wrote in message ...
I'm in Zone 6 and would REALLY like to grow Pistachios (Pistacia vera). As
far as I can tell, it's too chilly up here for Pistacia Vera which has a
hardiness to 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

Our typical winter here is above this threshold. I'm wondering if, with a
little judicious micro-climatization, I couldn't get a few of these to grow
and supply my pistachio habit. Has anyone had any luck with them
outside of the warmer climes?

James

Unless you live in a Mediterranean climate, forget about pistachios.

You could grow them in a greenhouse, but they won't make it outside.

The world's leading producers are California and Iran; that should tell you
a lot about the tree's requirements.

J. Del Col
Old 28-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Zemedelec

Subject: Pistachios? BRBR

Yes, please! Just roasted, shelled and salted...
zemedelec
Old 29-07-2003, 01:02 AM
JNJ

Unless you live in a Mediterranean climate, forget about pistachios.

You could grow them in a greenhouse, but they won't make it outside.

The world's leading producers are California and Iran; that should tell

you
a lot about the tree's requirements.

New Zealand is another.

From what I've read they're pretty forgiving on climate. Have you ever
tried growing them outside in other climates?

James

Old 29-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Tracey

From what I've read they're pretty forgiving on climate.

I know little about growing pistachios (other than there's
a tree not far from me right now) but it's possible that
the tree will survive in different zones, but only fruit
in certain ones.

Tracey

Old 29-07-2003, 08:22 PM
J. Del Col

"JNJ" wrote in message ...
Unless you live in a Mediterranean climate, forget about pistachios.

You could grow them in a greenhouse, but they won't make it outside.

The world's leading producers are California and Iran; that should tell

you
a lot about the tree's requirements.

New Zealand is another.

From what I've read they're pretty forgiving on climate. Have you ever
tried growing them outside in other climates?

They won't survive outdoors if their roots freeze. If the soil freezes
where you live, pistachio trees will almost certainly be killed.

BTW, you will need both male and female trees to produce nuts. It
also takes
several years for them to bear.

Buy a few trees and try them, but I wouldn't be too optimistic, unless
you've got someplace to bring them in for the winter.

J. Del Col
Old 29-07-2003, 08:32 PM
J. Del Col

"JNJ" wrote in message ...
Unless you live in a Mediterranean climate, forget about pistachios.

You could grow them in a greenhouse, but they won't make it outside.

The world's leading producers are California and Iran; that should tell

you
a lot about the tree's requirements.

New Zealand is another.

From what I've read they're pretty forgiving on climate. Have you ever
tried growing them outside in other climates?

Try www.eagleranchpistachios.com for info on growing pistachios.

They sell trees and budwood.

I'm afraid what they say will not be encouraging .

J. Del Col
Old 29-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Tracey

I know little about growing pistachios

Urk...what a brain freeze. I was thinking macadamias,
not pistachios. Sheesh.

Tracey