Old 29-07-2003, 08:22 PM
paghat

Default No bees visit Monarda 'Jacob Cline'

In article ,
oway (Tyra Trevellyn) wrote:

Does anyone here grow Monarda 'Jacob Cline'? This is the only variety I've
ever experienced that attracts absolutely NO bees or butterflies....never in
the three years I've grown it. (It does, however, attract Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds.) This is a beautiful plant, very PM resistant, with huge deep
red flowers and a long bloom season. I'm really curious about the lack of
insect pollinators (except some moth, it seems, that lays eggs so its larvae
can mutilate the blooms....), since bee balm is normally a major attractant.
And yes, I've got lots of bees of many species.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

How odd. I have a patch of Jacob Kline and there are usually bees on the
big red flowers, but the same general strip of sun-garden also has a
purple beebalm, plus penstemons, globe thistles, campanulas, climbing
honeysuckles, &c., so it's not like Jacob Kline has to do it all alone, so
I don't know what would happen otherwise.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/