Old 29-07-2003, 08:22 PM
jammer

Default Rosey Reds

Point well taken. I do not have any predators around and think i would
have the over population. My pond (let) is only 70 gallons. Thanks for
the info.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:03:26 -0400, Robyn Rhudy
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, jammer wrote:

Yes, if i ever get curious about these "rosey reds", I think about ONE
would do.

Each pond is different. If you notice, those people who have a billion of
them usually have large ponds or new ponds which have few predators. I
keep fatheads (natural rosy reds) in my 1800 gallon pond. Many babies
made it the first few years of my pond in 1997 and 1998. Now, I have
maybe 30 of them in the entire pond. Why? They are preferred by these
predators in my ponds - snakes, raccoons, orfe, and bullfrogs. I put some
in my 153 gallon pond this spring. Again, for my situation, they are NOT
overpopulated. So, don't immediately consider them some sort of out of
control pest when it varies situation to situation. They are my favorite
fish and the reason I started with aquariums and ponds so I tend to stand
up for them! My site is the probably the only real one on them at
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/rosies.htm and
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/rosy2.htm

Of course, my luck, it would be pregnant.

They cannot be pregnant. Females are egg-laden or "ripe." A female by
herself cannot expel her eggs and if she could, without a male to
fertilize them, no wee ones would be forthcoming. If I added just one
minnow, someone would soon eat him. They must be tasty as bullfrogs,
raccoons, turtles, herons, and all sorts of animals go after them. Unlike
some other fish who shall remain nameless, rosy reds are sweet fish who do
not harm other fish (males will drive others from their nest but not hurt
them) or eat tadpoles or chew off other fishes' fins. I've spent a lot of
time nursing batches back to health that I got sold as feeders. They are
treated so poorly. They deserve much better!

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:34:55 -0700, "DonKcR" wrote:

How big are rosey reds? Never seen one, but by the looks of your message I
would never want over "1". I'm already over stocked! Kc
"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
. ..
Looks like the 1,000 rosey reds I stocked in my pond spawned and now I
have
about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003 new ones all
along
the shoreline of my pond. It's crazy seeing drones of fish schools like
that.

Sam

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_