Old 29-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Nobody here grows potatos?

Sorry, kiddo, I found some info on growing potatoes when I googled, but I
mistakenly assumed that lots of folks here must have had experience growing
them, so I failed to post.

Here's an interesting website I turned up with this minute's google (I
hesitate to call it "today's" google, because I'm always online, so I google
constantly):
Gardening as an Anarchist Plot (!)
ttp://www.rain.org/~philfear/garden.html -- I especially like the caption
"No gophers in my garden" on the photo of the "pet" Harris' Hawk (a western
hawk about the size of a Red-tailed Hawk).

My only personal experience with growing potatoes is limited to this: I
noticed potato plants sprouting in the compost piles; I made the mistake of
trying to transplant them; the plants immediately died.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Kira Dirlik" !! wrote in message
Hi Folks,
Nobody answered my potato question. Anyone out there grow them?
My plant is growing out like an octopus, with the ever-lenghthening
stems all in the center. They are getting flowers, which I
understand indicate there WILL be potatos. But, shouldn't the stems
be covered so that more potatos form along these stems? What should
they be covered with: soil, mulch, grass clippings, or what?
Thanks.
Kira