Old 30-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Bougainvillea safe inseticide/pesticide.

Carlos:
Jim Lewis always suggests a heavy spray of water as the first line of
defense against pests. Duroing this time ofthe year I do the same, but
in the winter, I use the following recipe:

I pour a solution of 1 to 2 tablespoon dishwashing detergent, 1
tablespoon of vegetable oil* into a plastic gallon and slowly add
water to fill the gallon jug. I fill this solution from the gallon
bottle into a spray bottle and just before using I add 1 to 2 two caps
full (from the rubbing alcohol bottle) of rubbing alcohol and spray
immediately. If you do not use the full bottle of spray, I
suggest the next time you are going to use the soap/alcohol solution add
the same amount of rubbing alcohol again, since the
alcohol will evaporate. I store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug
for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.

Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to
spray from three to four times with intervals of three
days. I have eliminated almost any kind of pest that have attacked my
trees, including scale.

* The use of the vegetable oil is optional.. I find that the alcohol
usually does the trick without the use of the oil.

I do not wash off the spray and have seen no adverse reaction to the
trees from this mixture.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Carlos P. wrote:

Dear group,
I'm trying to get an insecticide/pesticide that can be used safely with
Bougainvilleas against mealybugs.I tried one without success,and it made all the
leafs drop.
Some of my Bougies are infested with them and hand removal is not an
option.They are small,persistent green little worm like devils that are eating not
only my leafs but the flowers too.
And I'm going to kill them all!
Please advice.A product name would be great and will save me time at Home
Depot's.

Warm Regards,
Carlos Pimenta
Miami ,FL