Old 29-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Carlos P.

Default [IBC] Bougainvillea safe inseticide/pesticide.

Dear group,
I'm trying to get an insecticide/pesticide that can be used safely with
Bougainvilleas against mealybugs.I tried one without success,and it made all the
leafs drop.
Some of my Bougies are infested with them and hand removal is not an
option.They are small,persistent green little worm like devils that are eating not
only my leafs but the flowers too.
And I'm going to kill them all!
Please advice.A product name would be great and will save me time at Home
Depot's.

Warm Regards,
Carlos Pimenta
Miami ,FL

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Ben Griffin

I have used safer insecticidal soap on them without
any after effects. I have never had to use anything
else on them. Ive only treated mine once and i
diluted it by half when applying it. I've never had
an infestation on any of my bougies though. Only an
occasional mealy bug which i just plucked off. And
then applied the soap.

Ben

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Dear group,
I'm trying to get an insecticide/pesticide that can be used safely with
Bougainvilleas against mealybugs.I tried one without success,and it
made all the
leafs drop.
Some of my Bougies are infested with them and hand removal is not an
option.They are small,persistent green little worm like devils that
are eating not
only my leafs but the flowers too.
And I'm going to kill them all!

Those don't sound like mealy bugs. Mealy bugs are sessile (nonmoving)
as adults, and suck sap. They don't eat leaves. Correctly identify
the pest, then choosing the correct pesticide will be easier.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Corcoran. Bil

Carlos:

I'll thank Carl Rosner in advance, but for mealey I use his recipe and
it's great and safe. I'm sure he can chime in with exact measurements.

In a gallon jug I add about a teaspoon of vegetable oil and a tablespoon
of dishwashing soap, then slowly add water to fill it. I pour that into
a spray bottle and add a capful or two of rubbing alcohol right before I
spray. If you do the rubbing alcohol earlier it will evaporate.

I then spray it on the plant and I will target the mealey with the spray
as much as possible to knock them loose. Carl and many others just
leave it on. I leave it for 10 or 15 minutes then spray it off with a
stiff stream of water. The only problem I had was one batch had too
much vegetable oil which although it made the leaves look nice and shiny
some of the leaves were not happy and they yellowed.

I also try to get my Bougey's outside when it's warm to get better
airflow which mealey seem to hate. Inside you can use a fan.

On a side note mealey have tiny shell-like stripes and tiny cotton puffs
of web-like stuff and they are whitish gray not green. Green little
worm-like devils could be aphids or even caterpillars. This mix will
work on aphids but I'm not sure on caterpillars. Can you give us a
better description of the devils??

Wmcorcor

PS Bougeys will drop leaves if you look at them wrong but they always
seem to come back as long as you don't get them too cold.

Old 29-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Dear group,
I'm trying to get an insecticide/pesticide that can be used

safely with
Bougainvilleas against mealybugs.I tried one without

success,and it made all the
leafs drop.
Some of my Bougies are infested with them and hand removal is

not an
option.They are small,persistent green little worm like devils

that are eating not
only my leafs but the flowers too.
And I'm going to kill them all!
Please advice.A product name would be great and will save me

time at Home
Depot's.

As Nina said, these aren't "mealy bugs." Mealy bugs make white
cottony mounds on leaves and stems. The insects themselves are
scale like with a white, waxy shell.

Green worms SOUND like caterpillars. Do they have "legs." If
so, they're caterpillars, and a spray or powder of Bacillus
thuriengensis (BT) will do the job. Any garden center sells BT
sprays. If no legs, they're something else, probably the larvae
of some critter. A pesticide containing pyrethrums will do the
job. I've sprayed Bougainvilleas with Pyrethrums and have seen
no damage. Again, garden centers will have something.

Are these trees outside? Or inside. In outside, probably a HARD
spray of water will do as well as anything to get rid of the
critters. Ditto inside, but HARD sprays of water are more
difficult in the living room. Keeping plants outdoors usually
reduces the bug problems by 75%.

Old 30-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Carl L Rosner

Carlos:
Jim Lewis always suggests a heavy spray of water as the first line of
defense against pests. Duroing this time ofthe year I do the same, but
in the winter, I use the following recipe:

I pour a solution of 1 to 2 tablespoon dishwashing detergent, 1
tablespoon of vegetable oil* into a plastic gallon and slowly add
water to fill the gallon jug. I fill this solution from the gallon
bottle into a spray bottle and just before using I add 1 to 2 two caps
full (from the rubbing alcohol bottle) of rubbing alcohol and spray
immediately. If you do not use the full bottle of spray, I
suggest the next time you are going to use the soap/alcohol solution add
the same amount of rubbing alcohol again, since the
alcohol will evaporate. I store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug
for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.

Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to
spray from three to four times with intervals of three
days. I have eliminated almost any kind of pest that have attacked my
trees, including scale.

* The use of the vegetable oil is optional.. I find that the alcohol
usually does the trick without the use of the oil.

I do not wash off the spray and have seen no adverse reaction to the
trees from this mixture.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Carlos P. wrote:

Dear group,
I'm trying to get an insecticide/pesticide that can be used safely with
Bougainvilleas against mealybugs.I tried one without success,and it made all the
leafs drop.
Some of my Bougies are infested with them and hand removal is not an
option.They are small,persistent green little worm like devils that are eating not
only my leafs but the flowers too.
And I'm going to kill them all!
Please advice.A product name would be great and will save me time at Home
Depot's.

Warm Regards,
Carlos Pimenta
Miami ,FL

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Carlos P.

[...]

Thats really nice,Carl,thanks for the detailed explanation!

Regards,
Carlos Pimenta

Old 30-07-2003, 03:23 AM
Jim Lewis

Try Dipel. Its a bacteria that freezes the guts of the

caterpillar and they
starve to death (which they deserve for eating our little

trees). Safe for
all warm blooded beings.

Take care,
Robert

Thanks,Robert,wil ltry that!
Where can I purchase that?Is this(dipel) the brand name?
Ifnot,can you give me the name of a product that contains Dipel?

====================
Dipel is a brand name for a pesticide that consists of Bacillus
thuriengensis (BT), mixed with whatever delivery system (liquid
or powder) that manufacturer chose. It would be fine, but there
are quite a few BT pesticides and any of them would do as well.
HD or Wal-Mart brands may be a bit less expensive. They come in
powder or liquid preparations. Powder is cheaper, probably
slower acting, but the liquid preparations work faster
(generally) and are easier to apply evenly and have less
environmental drift (wind-blown spreading of the bacteria to
places you don't want it to go). A little BT goes a LONG way, so
use it sparingly. You are not trying to drown the caterpillars.
The BT that touches them will infect them. It will take a day or
two to see results, but the caterpillars will stop eating almost
immediately.

As far as I know, various strains of BT act on caterpillars, a
few beetles (Japanese) and Potato, etc., and mosquitoes (mosquito
dunks are also BT). Beetle-killing BT is a bit harder to find;
virtually all of the BT you find in garden centers, etc., is
aimed at caterpillars (and, of course, mosquito dunks).

NOTE: Do not spray indiscriminately or you (and your
neighborhood) may not have any butterflies next summer!

Mosquito dunks are allegedly a special strain that works only on
mosquito larvae, but I wonder . . . and don't grow butterfly
plants near my bird bath or trees that are kept in trays of water
during the hottest parts of the summer.

Old 30-07-2003, 03:23 AM
Jim Lewis

Dipel is a brand name. The scientific name is Bacillus
thurigencis or
something like that. It is also some times sold as Thuricide.

Be careful where
you buy it and how it is stored. especially in a warm climate

or warm weather.
The active ingredient are live spores of a bacteria, but they

don't live
forever and heat tends to shorten their life span.

Yes. Apply in the late afternoon or evening. BT sprayed in the
a.m. won't survive to the p.m. in summer (when caterpillars are
active). Caterpillars are more active at night, anyway.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Bougainvillea safe inseticide/pesticide(CATERPILLARS) Carlos P. Bonsai 0 30-07-2003 01:13 AM
safe pesticide fogger? Betsy Gardening 6 18-07-2003 03:52 PM
[IBC] cinnamon as pesticide -- BE CAREFUL! Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-03-2003 03:56 AM
[IBC] Bougainvillea advice CLSC Bonsai 4 06-03-2003 03:39 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea root pruning Neal Ross Bonsai 2 27-02-2003 03:53 AM