Old 30-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Ray

Default cuttings from English Laurel

Pam wrote in message ...
Ray wrote:

Can anyone point me to a reference on HOW to make "cuttings" from a
"potted" English Laurel.

Thanks

You can of course do a google search for a detailed explanantion, but
English laurel is extremely easily grown from cuttings. Take softwood
(this season's new growth, still with green stems) cuttings now, about 6
inches in length. Remove a portion of the foliage by holding the leaves
together and cutting them in half - this reduces the surface area
available for transpiration so the cutting focuses on root growth. Dip
the cut end into rooting hormone and place in a rooting medium of
50%-50% peat and sand. Keep moist. You might want to construct a simple
greenhouse by using a pop bottle with the base removed or a plastic bag
to maintain high humidity and prevent the cutting from drying out. Keep
out of direct sun. In about 6-8 weeks your laurel should be rooted and
can be potted up into a large container. It should be ready to plant
out, although still very small, next spring.

pam - gardengal

Pam,

Thanks. I have search google groups, yahoo, dogpile, webcrawler, and
google web with no luck.

I'll go with your "detailed explanantion."

Again, much thanks.