Old 29-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Ray

Default cuttings from English Laurel

Can anyone point me to a reference on HOW to make "cuttings" from a
"potted" English Laurel.

Thanks
Old 29-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Pam

Ray wrote:

Can anyone point me to a reference on HOW to make "cuttings" from a
"potted" English Laurel.

Thanks

You can of course do a google search for a detailed explanantion, but
English laurel is extremely easily grown from cuttings. Take softwood
(this season's new growth, still with green stems) cuttings now, about 6
inches in length. Remove a portion of the foliage by holding the leaves
together and cutting them in half - this reduces the surface area
available for transpiration so the cutting focuses on root growth. Dip
the cut end into rooting hormone and place in a rooting medium of
50%-50% peat and sand. Keep moist. You might want to construct a simple
greenhouse by using a pop bottle with the base removed or a plastic bag
to maintain high humidity and prevent the cutting from drying out. Keep
out of direct sun. In about 6-8 weeks your laurel should be rooted and
can be potted up into a large container. It should be ready to plant
out, although still very small, next spring.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-07-2003, 10:02 PM
David Hill

If you are talking about the Laurel we use here in UK for hedging then

Depends where you are.

Here in UK we take stems 9 to 12 inches long at the End of Sept./Early
October (Though I have taken cuttings as late as March) strip off the leaves
to about half way, then just line them out (You just push the spade into the
ground about 8 inches, rock it back and forwards a little, then if you are
fussy pour sand into the cut , insert the cuttings about 6 inches deep and
about 3 or 4 inches apart, then tread in the sides to firm) in a sheltered
part of the garden or cold frame.
By March they will be rooted and can be lifted and potted or planted into
final growing position.
Alternatively we used to tie them in bundles of 20 and just heal them in
till the spring and then separate and plant.(This last way we would get
about 75 to 80% rooting, hot such a good rate but takes up a lot less space
if you want to do several hundred).

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Ray

Pam wrote in message ...
Ray wrote:

[...]

Pam,

Thanks. I have search google groups, yahoo, dogpile, webcrawler, and
google web with no luck.

I'll go with your "detailed explanantion."

Again, much thanks.
Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Ray

David,

Thanks. I live in the Pacific Northwest. We have a super store called
Home Depot. I was given two "Prunus laurocerasus 'Compacta Improved'.
Kind of a joke, I'd say.

"...leaves are a bit smaller and darker than the regular English
Laurel...

Your directions are wonderful.

Can I take the the "cuttings" now before I "un-pot" the plants in the
ground?

Thanks agian.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:02 AM
David Hill

".... Can I take the "cuttings" now before I "un-pot" the plants in the
ground? ....."

I would wait till Autumn(Fall), they wont like the higher temp.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Ray

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
".... Can I take the "cuttings" now before I "un-pot" the plants in the
ground? ....."

I would wait till Autumn(Fall), they wont like the higher temp.

Thanks so much.