Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Ray

Default cuttings from English Laurel

David,

Thanks. I live in the Pacific Northwest. We have a super store called
Home Depot. I was given two "Prunus laurocerasus 'Compacta Improved'.
Kind of a joke, I'd say.

"...leaves are a bit smaller and darker than the regular English
Laurel...

Your directions are wonderful.

Can I take the the "cuttings" now before I "un-pot" the plants in the
ground?

Thanks agian.

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
If you are talking about the Laurel we use here in UK for hedging then

Depends where you are.

Here in UK we take stems 9 to 12 inches long at the End of Sept./Early
October (Though I have taken cuttings as late as March) strip off the leaves
to about half way, then just line them out (You just push the spade into the
ground about 8 inches, rock it back and forwards a little, then if you are
fussy pour sand into the cut , insert the cuttings about 6 inches deep and
about 3 or 4 inches apart, then tread in the sides to firm) in a sheltered
part of the garden or cold frame.
By March they will be rooted and can be lifted and potted or planted into
final growing position.
Alternatively we used to tie them in bundles of 20 and just heal them in
till the spring and then separate and plant.(This last way we would get
about 75 to 80% rooting, hot such a good rate but takes up a lot less space
if you want to do several hundred).