Old 30-07-2003, 03:22 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default herb garden

"Sandie Hudson" wrote:

My husband's veggie garden has done so well this year that I
plan to encourage him to keep it going every year. This
leaves me with a small square near the patio where I used to
grow a few tomatoes. I think I would like to try to grow
some herbs there. What advice do you have? I would like
perennials or self seeders that love sun and are easy to
care for. Which ones to plant and when?

I think what is most important is what do YOU use. I think you will
not only enjoy it but take better care if you go out to the box
regularly for cooking amendments. Full sun is the key to many and you
can always use one plant to provide shade for another. Moisture can be
controlled, so look through your herbs and list what you use.

I did all the herbs I use... Parsley, thyme, sage, basil, dill &
oregano(in a separate bowl, invasive). I tried rosemary & cumin but
they didn't germinate. I will definitely try the cumin again. Rosemary
was more a try to see if I would like fresh rosemary better. I've
grown cayennes for spice too.

Someone mentioned sesame...which I would like.

I also have a windowbox which I will keep near the kitchen door for
winter. (could even move indoors) I've got thyme, parsley, dill, sage,
and a bell pepper in it. Rosemary and cumin were supposed to be in
there too. I'm not sure what will survive the winter, but I get to
enjoy the easy cuttings.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener