Old 29-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Sandie Hudson

Default herb garden

My husband's veggie garden has done so well this year that I
plan to encourage him to keep it going every year. This
leaves me with a small square near the patio where I used to
grow a few tomatoes. I think I would like to try to grow
some herbs there. What advice do you have? I would like
perennials or self seeders that love sun and are easy to
care for. Which ones to plant and when?

Thanks

Old 29-07-2003, 09:12 AM
J. Lane

Hi Sandie,
Most herbs are perennials and like the sun. Choose what you like to use in
your cooking etc, and plant them. Basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme(jeezeI
sound like Simon and Garfunkle) come to mind. Don't plant mints. They are
almost impossible to get rid of and take over the bed. The roots can grow
two feet down and spread all over the place. Best to use a container for
them.
--
Jayel
.com...

Old 29-07-2003, 06:02 PM
graham

"Sandie Hudson" wrote in message
.com...
My husband's veggie garden has done so well this year that I
plan to encourage him to keep it going every year. This
leaves me with a small square near the patio where I used to
grow a few tomatoes. I think I would like to try to grow
some herbs there. What advice do you have? I would like
perennials or self seeders that love sun and are easy to
care for. Which ones to plant and when?

Thanks

Plant some French Tarragon (not the Russian variety which has absolutely no
flavor). French Tarragon is a perennial and can only be propogated from root
stock whereas the Russian is grown from seed. Go to a reliable nusery as
they often sell the russian kind without knowing how useless it is. You can
always tell the difference: rub a leaf between your fingers and the FT will
give off a strong anise-like scent.
Graham

Old 30-07-2003, 02:42 AM
simy1

"Sandie Hudson" wrote in message r.com...
My husband's veggie garden has done so well this year that I
plan to encourage him to keep it going every year. This
leaves me with a small square near the patio where I used to
grow a few tomatoes. I think I would like to try to grow
some herbs there. What advice do you have? I would like
perennials or self seeders that love sun and are easy to
care for. Which ones to plant and when?

Thanks

I suppose you are in North Carolina. I strongly encourage you to grow
a couple square yards of herbs, a pinch of them can enlighten a whole
dinner. Some herbs are quite invasive and will suffocate lesser herbs.
The list below are herbs I have, and I list them most important first
(based on versatility, length of season, and productivity). All herbs
listed below are perennial in your area.
Oregano, sorrel and mint tolerate some shade, not so the rest.

1) oregano. Will eventually ground cover a large area. best tomato
herb, which will give you early and late in the season.

1) Thyme. Also a groundcovering herb, excellent salad herb, remains
viable well past the first fall frost.

1) Sage. Get a hardy variety. Excellent with all types of meats, and
makes good tea (I mix the dried leaves with dried blackberry leaves).

4) Mint. Extremely invasive, it is the base for most of my teas
(alone, with lemon balm, or linden). I grow a couple square yards of
it, and four different varieties. The two best varieties end up in
meat marinades or pesto for potatoes.

5) Sorrel. Extremely early and late, very productive, and great for
soups and omelettes (sorrel potato soup lifts the spirits in spring
and late fall). Otherwise I don't think it is that great.

6) lemon balm. Very productive, makes a very nice tea.
Old 30-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Françoise

Hi,

Basil and parsley are not perennials here in Canada. My thyme did not sur=
vive
the winter.

Fran=E7oise.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:12 AM
J. Lane

HI Francoise,
I'm a Canuck too but I've had no problem growing herbs. Possible my B.C.
zone is higher than yours. Winters are not too harsh although summer's
proving to be just plain nasty to plants and humans here. 37degrees celcius,
uggh! and dry as a bone.
--
Jayel
"Françoise" wrote in message
Hi,

Basil and parsley are not perennials here in Canada. My thyme did not
survive
the winter.

Françoise.

Old 30-07-2003, 03:22 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Sandie Hudson" wrote:

My husband's veggie garden has done so well this year that I
plan to encourage him to keep it going every year. This
leaves me with a small square near the patio where I used to
grow a few tomatoes. I think I would like to try to grow
some herbs there. What advice do you have? I would like
perennials or self seeders that love sun and are easy to
care for. Which ones to plant and when?

I think what is most important is what do YOU use. I think you will
not only enjoy it but take better care if you go out to the box
regularly for cooking amendments. Full sun is the key to many and you
can always use one plant to provide shade for another. Moisture can be
controlled, so look through your herbs and list what you use.

I did all the herbs I use... Parsley, thyme, sage, basil, dill &
oregano(in a separate bowl, invasive). I tried rosemary & cumin but
they didn't germinate. I will definitely try the cumin again. Rosemary
was more a try to see if I would like fresh rosemary better. I've
grown cayennes for spice too.

Someone mentioned sesame...which I would like.

I also have a windowbox which I will keep near the kitchen door for
winter. (could even move indoors) I've got thyme, parsley, dill, sage,
and a bell pepper in it. Rosemary and cumin were supposed to be in
there too. I'm not sure what will survive the winter, but I get to
enjoy the easy cuttings.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 30-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Sue S.

Sandie, I have an herb and vegetable garden here in Raleigh. I would
concur with most of the advice already posted. I'd also recommend
Italian flat-leaf parsley. It's a self-seeding biennial and thrives
for me (whereas my sage and thyme always eventually succumb to rot due
to the heavy clay soil). Plus, I can't imagine cooking without fresh
parsley.
Old 30-07-2003, 10:42 PM
J Kolenovsky

My heavens, regardless of where you are, pick up an herb book and pick
your choices. You are bound to have more than enough to chose from. Full
sun and good drainage.

This is what I planted for a client on June 30, 2003 in zone 9a. They
are prolific now.

1. Fennel
2. Bee Balm
3. Cinnamon Basil
4. Lovage
5. Fewerfew
6. Sweet violets
7. Lemon Balm
8. Pineapple Mint
9. Yerba Buena Mint
10. Sweet Lavender
11. Chive
12. Redstem Peppermint
13. Prostrate Rosemary
14. English Wedgewood Thyme
15. Spanish Lavender
16. Purple Red Basil
17. Mrs. Burns Lemon Basil
18. Stachys Lambs Ear
19. Lime Basil
20. Mexican Oregano
21. Dancing Water Rosemary
22. Hardy Hill Rosemary
23. Blue Tuscan Rosemary
24. Lemon Thyme
25. English Mint
26. Lemon Verbena
27. Mexican Mint Marigold
28. Greek Oregano
29. Evergreen Coreopsis
30. French Lavender
31. Pineapple Sage
32. Artemesia Silver King

Oh, and I found her an Artemesia Southernwood on Monday. She's from
England and is thrilled with the garden.

J. Kolenovsky
Bayou City on the Gulf Coast prairie and marsh eco-region #2, Texas.

Sandie Hudson wrote:
=

My husband's veggie garden has done so well this year that I
plan to encourage him to keep it going every year. This
leaves me with a small square near the patio where I used to
grow a few tomatoes. I think I would like to try to grow
some herbs there. What advice do you have? I would like
perennials or self seeders that love sun and are easy to
care for. Which ones to plant and when?
=

Thanks

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 30-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Françoise

Jayel,

I have no problem growing herbs in the summer. I have beautiful parsley a=
nd
basil now. They do not survive the winter. I have to plant new ones every=

spring.

Montr=E9al is very different than Vancouver. I remember going to Vancouve=
r in
April one year. Though there was hardly any snow on the ground here, we w=
ere
still wearing our winter coats. I arrive in a flowered, warm Vancouver. S=
ad
though, it was misty, could not see the mountains very well. Then I flew =
Winnipeg. We landed in a snow storm. What a funny trip!

After graduation, I spend a week in Vancouver. We had gorgeous weather th=
e whole
week and I almost accepted the job that was offered to me then. Since the=
n, I
visited Vancouver, Victoria and different places many times since then. T=
wo
years ago we spent a few days with some friends outside Vancouver.

Fran=E7oise.

"J. Lane" wrote:

HI Francoise,
I'm a Canuck too but I've had no problem growing herbs. Possible my B.C=

=2E

Old 31-07-2003, 03:02 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:09:17 GMT,
"J. Lane" did speak the following bit of wisdom:

Most herbs are perennials and like the sun. Choose what you like to use in
your cooking etc, and plant them.

Or... If you're like me and don't really do much cooking, you can
plant a "fragrance" garden. I grow herbs mostly for the lovely scents
many of them give off when you ruffle or crush their leaves. Sweet
Annie (and other Artemisias), lemon balm, lemon verbena, peppermint,
spearmint, pennyroyal, rosemary and the various types of scented
geraniums are personal favorites. Even if they're not hardy in your
particular zone, most of these can be over wintered in a cool, bright,
frost-free place and enjoyed year after year. The scented geraniums in
particular can make wonderful house plants all year round. Enjoy...

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Old 31-07-2003, 07:22 AM
J. Lane

Francoise,
Glad to hear you've visited Beautiful B.C. I live in the interior where the
weather is more extreme. -20 in the worst part of winter and today was 39
degrees. Still is about 28 and it's 10pm!
Back to the herbs... have you tried growing them in pots that can be brought
inside in the winter?
Wish I could visit you end of the country sometime. The only time I was
there was when I emmigrated from England. All I got to see was the airport!
--
Jayel
"Françoise" wrote in message
Jayel,

I have no problem growing herbs in the summer. I have beautiful parsley and
basil now. They do not survive the winter. I have to plant new ones every
spring.

Montréal is very different than Vancouver. I remember going to Vancouver in
April one year. Though there was hardly any snow on the ground here, we were
still wearing our winter coats. I arrive in a flowered, warm Vancouver. Sad
though, it was misty, could not see the mountains very well. Then I flew to

Old 31-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Françoise

Hi,

For what do you use Fewerfew? I have Fewerfew with my flowers. I like the=

small white flowers, which goes with any other type of flowers. I never
thought that I could use it in dishes. Unless, we are not taking about t=
he
some thing.

Fran=E7oise.

Old 31-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Françoise

Jayel,

I planted parsley and basil indoor last winter and I have been using them=
a lot.
Now I use the outdoor ones. My mother always had a pot of parsley indoor =
for
years. She used to do a type of potatoes and she always put a little bran=
ch of
parsley on them on each plate.

I do not like to bring in an outside plant in the fall. I am scare of bug=
inside. My children and my husband laugh at me. I panic when I see a craw=
ling
bug inside the house. I do not mind them as much outside. When I was youn=
g, my
father would say: "Little animals do not eat big ones."

Fran=E7oise.

"J. Lane" wrote:

HI Francoise,
I'm a Canuck too but I've had no problem growing herbs. Possible my B=

=2EC.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:50 AM
GrampysGurl

Basil and parsley are not perennials here in Canada. My thyme did not sur=
vive
the winter.

Rosemary either, and your north of me.
Colleen