Old 30-07-2003, 03:32 PM
dkat

Default Can you grow Oleander from cuttings?

WHERE did I say ANYTHING about sucking on the end of an Oleander!? BAD BAD IDEA!!! An Oleander can kill a horse.
"Heidi" wrote in message ...
Since we are talking about the highly poisonous Oleander, I'm thinking sucking on the end of the cutting would be a pretty bad idea.....

It has been said that people have died from poisoning by using Oleander branches to roast hot dogs. Personally, I would never plant it.

dkat wrote:

An easy way to make "copies" of many shrubs is to take a branch of the
desired shrub, scrape it lightly at an area that you will be able to fit it
under or on top of the soil, put a rock or brick on it and wait. By the
Fall you should have roots formed and you can cut the rooted branch of and
pot it up. It is going to have to be babied for awhile until it has
developed a sufficient root system (hot houses work nicely, even temporary
ones that you can throw together yourself). DK
"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:30:37 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

In my day there was no such thing as rooting hormone, in any form, but
it
was thought that if you just sucked the end of the cuttings for a moment
or
two it helped them to root,
Interesting. I wonder if it *did* have a positive effect. There was a
Consumers Report survey/study a number of years ago that correlated
regular car-washing with longevity of vehicles. Obviously, washing a
car isn't going to do anything about engine wear, but equally
obviously, those who frequently wash probably are also meticulous
about routine maintenance. Perhaps cutting-lickers were more serious
about overall care and attention.