Old 26-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Jim Caldwell

Default Can you grow Oleander from cuttings?

Says it all. ??

Old 26-07-2003, 04:12 PM
David Hill

Yes, but DON'T lick the stems before dipping in rooting hormone...........

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Absolutely.

Jim Caldwell wrote in message
Says it all. ??

Old 26-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

So you are a stem licker? Did you learn gardening from Monica Lewisnky?

Beware of kinky Dave!!!

Oleander are poisonous as are many of the plants commonly grown.

Nobody in their right mind would lick the stems anyway.

Old 26-07-2003, 07:22 PM
des weges

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:14:13 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Nobody in their right mind would lick the stems anyway.

oh please do lick some oleander....

Old 26-07-2003, 09:32 PM
David Hill

".... So you are a stem licker? Did you learn gardening from Monica
Lewisnky? .........."

I learned my gardening long before either Monica or probably you were born.
In my day there was no such thing as rooting hormone, in any form, but it
was thought that if you just sucked the end of the cuttings for a moment or
two it helped them to root, that's why so many old time gardeners used to
put

(Of course it could be that Monica's grand dad told her that if you put
things into your mouth it helps them grow..)

"..... Nobody in their right mind would lick the stems anyway ....."

Well not often.....but then......... in the UK we didn't have many plants
that you took cuttings from that are either irritant or poisonous so we
didn't have to worry.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:30:37 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

In my day there was no such thing as rooting hormone, in any form, but it
was thought that if you just sucked the end of the cuttings for a moment or
two it helped them to root,

Interesting. I wonder if it *did* have a positive effect. There was a
Consumers Report survey/study a number of years ago that correlated
regular car-washing with longevity of vehicles. Obviously, washing a
car isn't going to do anything about engine wear, but equally
obviously, those who frequently wash probably are also meticulous
about routine maintenance. Perhaps cutting-lickers were more serious
about overall care and attention.
Old 27-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Lee

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
..., but it
was thought that if you just sucked the end of the cuttings for a moment or
two it helped them to root, ...... in the UK we didn't have many plants
that you took cuttings from that are either irritant or poisonous so we
didn't have to worry.

50-60-70- years ago when i was growing up we dunked the stem in
vinegar which was said to stimulate the rooting process. now that i am
so much smarter... i usually just stick them in the soil and if i tell
it to root or die, it will usually root! heheheh!!! if it is a
plant that i would die for.. it may root or it may not! sometimes i
use harmones if handy.. sometimes use superthrive. I have cut long
stems from oleander in the spring, like maybe Feb-Mar, stick them in a
bucket of water with the ends of the stems only submerged and in time
most of them will root.
love..leona zone 7 USA
Old 28-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Jutta

yes you can, and it's very easy! Take a cutting, root in water, wait for
little roots to form, can take 4 weeks to 10 weeks and then pot. I have
generations of oleander from a grandfather/mother some 20 years ago and
made new ones for friends for another 10 years. If you need more info,
e-mail me directly.

Jim Caldwell wrote:

Says it all. ??

Old 29-07-2003, 08:12 PM
dkat

An easy way to make "copies" of many shrubs is to take a branch of the
desired shrub, scrape it lightly at an area that you will be able to fit it
under or on top of the soil, put a rock or brick on it and wait. By the
Fall you should have roots formed and you can cut the rooted branch of and
pot it up. It is going to have to be babied for awhile until it has
developed a sufficient root system (hot houses work nicely, even temporary
ones that you can throw together yourself). DK

Old 29-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Heidi

Since we are talking about the highly poisonous Oleander, I'm thinking
sucking on the end of the cutting would be a pretty bad idea.....

It has been said that people have died from poisoning by using Oleander
branches to roast hot dogs. Personally, I would never plant it.

dkat wrote:

An easy way to make "copies" of many shrubs is to take a branch of the
desired shrub, scrape it lightly at an area that you will be able to fit it
under or on top of the soil, put a rock or brick on it and wait. By the
Fall you should have roots formed and you can cut the rooted branch of and
pot it up. It is going to have to be babied for awhile until it has
developed a sufficient root system (hot houses work nicely, even temporary
ones that you can throw together yourself). DK
.. .

Old 29-07-2003, 10:02 PM
David Hill

"... Perhaps cutting-lickers were more serious about overall care and
attention. ....."

I always understood that the acid in saliva was a mild irritant to the stem.
same principal as rooting hormone.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-07-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

I hope you don't grow any tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, or any number of
thousands of common plants which, if eaten, can make you ill or kill you.
Tomatoes foliage is poisonous. Most nightshade plants are.

As for propagation of oleander, go he

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html

dkat wrote:

An easy way to make "copies" of many shrubs is to take a branch of the
desired shrub, scrape it lightly at an area that you will be able to fit it
under or on top of the soil, put a rock or brick on it and wait. By the
Fall you should have roots formed and you can cut the rooted branch of and
pot it up. It is going to have to be babied for awhile until it has
developed a sufficient root system (hot houses work nicely, even temporary
ones that you can throw together yourself). DK
. ..