Old 30-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Alana Gibson

Default Repeat Post re Hostas not blooming

Jutta wrote:
I have to ask again if anyone has any ideas why my 5 different types of
Hostas are not blooming whereas my neighbours' hostas are all in bloom?
They are in an ideal condition, get watered and fertilized and look
healthy. 2 types are new, so I don't expect them to bloom; the others
are 3 years old (H. sagae; H. Elegans are two of them). What gives?????

Perhaps you might have a talk with your neighbors or if that's not
possible, take note of how they manage theirs, how often/much do they
water, do they mulch, do they fertilize?

If they are in ideal condition perhaps fertilizer is the problem. Some
plants respond to improper fertilization by producing plants that are
prime examples of "what they should look like", producing gorgeous
foliage at the expense of blooms. I am new to growing Hosta, so I don't
know if that may apply, but I found this page on Hosta culture with some
good information, http://www.dvhosta.org/culture.htm, or you might ask
some other growers over at the GardenWeb Hosta forum at
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hosta/