Old 30-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Jutta

Default Repeat Post re Hostas not blooming

I have to ask again if anyone has any ideas why my 5 different types of
Hostas are not blooming whereas my neighbours' hostas are all in bloom?
They are in an ideal condition, get watered and fertilized and look
healthy. 2 types are new, so I don't expect them to bloom; the others
are 3 years old (H. sagae; H. Elegans are two of them). What gives?????

Old 30-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Alana Gibson

Jutta wrote:
I have to ask again if anyone has any ideas why my 5 different types of
Hostas are not blooming whereas my neighbours' hostas are all in bloom?
They are in an ideal condition, get watered and fertilized and look
healthy. 2 types are new, so I don't expect them to bloom; the others
are 3 years old (H. sagae; H. Elegans are two of them). What gives?????

Perhaps you might have a talk with your neighbors or if that's not
possible, take note of how they manage theirs, how often/much do they
water, do they mulch, do they fertilize?

If they are in ideal condition perhaps fertilizer is the problem. Some
plants respond to improper fertilization by producing plants that are
prime examples of "what they should look like", producing gorgeous
foliage at the expense of blooms. I am new to growing Hosta, so I don't
know if that may apply, but I found this page on Hosta culture with some
good information, http://www.dvhosta.org/culture.htm, or you might ask
some other growers over at the GardenWeb Hosta forum at
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hosta/

Old 30-07-2003, 05:42 PM
paghat

In article , Jutta wrote:

I have to ask again if anyone has any ideas why my 5 different types of
Hostas are not blooming whereas my neighbours' hostas are all in bloom?
They are in an ideal condition, get watered and fertilized and look
healthy. 2 types are new, so I don't expect them to bloom; the others
are 3 years old (H. sagae; H. Elegans are two of them). What gives?????

I don't have a strong opinon here, but I can tell you that I have very few
hostas because they're not my favorite things, but I do have a few, which
I tend to neglect a bit because, well, because they're not my favorite
things, plus they grow amidst some hard evergreen ferns that are easily
injured by fertilizers & the ferns' needs rate foremost. (I like them best
as "horns" early in spring.) They are under-watered & never fertilized,
though they do have nice shady areas, & this year I put some Sluggo around
them & they didn't get as nibbled-on as in the past, but in the past I
even let the slugs eat them. Yet they always bloom; they thrive on my
minimal attention. It could be you're OVER caring for yours & that regular
fertilizing & plenty of waterings is not their preference! It's just a
speculation.

In support of this possibility I can say only that in cases when
perennials are stressed, such as during a summer heatwave, there is a
tendency for gardeners to respond to signs of stress with more fertilizer,
though plants should NOT be fertilized while stressed. Secondly, when
providing a lot of fertilizer & too regular a watering schedule, this may
promote nice leaf growth & healthy general appearance, but it will not
encourage the root system to penetrate more deeply & wider to maximize its
access to resources in the soil, & until they have a big happy root system
they might not bloom. Again, this is just speculation, something that is
true of many plants & perhaps also of hostas, as it would explain why mine
do well on semi-neglect, & yours won't bloom when blessed with the
"ideal."

Hostas may also be slower to establish if they are just planted in holes a
bit bigger than the pots they came in. An entire garden area should be
deeply worked before putting in hostas, or a hole dug to three feet wide &
enriched with organic material before even a small hosta goes in. If only
a small area is well-worked for it, it may feel like it is still in a pot
when surrounded by packed soil, & not put out the greater root system it
requires.

Some have claimed the very best fertilizer for hostas is kelp. I never saw
field tests so don't know if anyone proved it, but it sounds credible, as
it is a fertilizer that increases anarobic bacterial activity so essential
go the health of all shade-plants (& all plants generally but especially
shade-plants which rely most heavily on soil conditions). But supposing
fertilizing more than once in spring would ever be a good thing, even
then, if you're using a nitrogen-heavy fertilizer this can have the
opposite effect as intended. Check the fertilizer you're using & make sure
it is LIGHT on the nitrogen end. Finally, summer & autumn fertilizing is
often said to be detrimental to hostas; certainly the hostas should be
"gearing down" their activity & not encouraged to put out a lot of new
growth late in the year. I'd restrict fertilizing to no more than once
each spring, though adding others with more experience specifically with
hostas do recommend three topcoat fertilizings through the spring but none
later in the year (though that would be to maximize leaf size & is not the
chief influence on blossoms).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 30-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You forgot to do the fertility dance!!!

During the next full moon, you wait until the stroke of midnight, strip
naked and dance like a lunatic on your front lawn shouting "Ohm Bwana Ananas
Siam" as loudly as you can. That should get prompt results!!!

If your plants really were in ideal condition, then they surely would be
blooming. Wouldn't they? Most likely they have been over fertilized, over
watered and pampered into excessive vegetative growth at the expense of
flowers. It is probably too late for flowers this year. Don't over do it
next year.

Old 31-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Jutta

You might have a point, as I'm watering religiously and fertilizing every 2
weeks - this is my desperate attempt to coax some flowers out of them. I've
heard it before that hostas thrive on neglect. Thanks for the post.

Old 31-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Jutta

Would I also get pregnant when I do the fertility dance???? Don't need it at my
age. Thanks for the post.

Old 31-07-2003, 05:02 PM
NewsUser

Could be as others are stating - too much fertilizer. Neglect them next year
and see what happens.

karen

Old 01-08-2003, 03:33 AM
BT

Are your hostas getting enough light to stimulate blooms? Hosta will grow in
very deep shade, but in my experience they tend to do better and bloom best if
they get some sunlight. Filtered or morning sun should be adequate.

Try dividing a couple hostas and plant the divisions in other locations to see
if that makes a difference. I just fertilize twice each season with 15-30-15
water soluble stuff; once as the leaves are starting to unfurl in the spring and
again three weeks later. All of them bloom just fine. I only water if we have
had really hot weather for a week with no rain.

BT

Old 01-08-2003, 11:32 PM
DickLivy

I agree with the others that you are taking TOO good of care of the Hostas.
I believe they like to be abused. I fertilize once a year - in the fall. I
have never watered a hosta (I have 34 varieties, over 120 individual plants)
yet get ABUNDANT blums and growth.

&

Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 AM
paghat

In article wMBWa.44089$o%2.22435@sccrnsc02, "DickLivy"
wrote:

I agree with the others that you are taking TOO good of care of the Hostas.
I believe they like to be abused. I fertilize once a year - in the fall. I
have never watered a hosta (I have 34 varieties, over 120 individual plants)
yet get ABUNDANT blums and growth.

I believe hosta feeding, if any, is better done in spring, and if done in
autumn may result in a burst of growth at a time when it should be
preparing itself for dormancy rather than new growth. It might not matter
all that much, but that seems to be the common assertion.

Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Hold on there, Dicky.

Nobody is saying to abuse the plants. Neglect would be a much better choice
of word to describe their care.

She should just hold back on the fertilizer and not water so often.

Fertilizing Hostas just once or twice a year with a low nitrogen fertilizer
is good enough.

Also, they shouldn't need any extra water unless they are showing signs of
wilting. Watering once a week is more than enough unless you grow them in
pots. Most Hostas are very resistant to relatively dry conditions. That
doesn't mean they are desert plants but they do very well kept on the lean
side. Most grow best as shade plants under trees and need very little extra
watering if any.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Jutta

thank you all for your helpful advice! It's neglect from now on. Much to my
surprise my newest hosta, the beautiful guacamole which is in the ground not
even a month is sending out a shoot. Now wouldn't you think that the other
hostas beside it get jealous and start sending up shoots and blooms as well????
J.

paghat wrote:

In article , Jutta wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

MAKE THOUSANDS FAST!!! NOT A SCAM, I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A SCAM Rico Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 03-09-2010 03:22 AM
Hostas not blooming! Jutta Gardening 2 28-07-2003 12:42 AM
daylilies (repeat blooming) Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 3 20-07-2003 09:13 PM
Sunsprite hardy? was Repeat Blooming Scented Yellow Rose? R & L Porter Roses 17 27-05-2003 01:33 AM
Repeat Blooming Scented Yellow Rose? Shay Roses 6 15-05-2003 04:44 AM