Old 30-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Franz Heymann

Default japanese maple - atropurpureum

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
Caroline Smith wrote in message

ws.com...
The edges of the leaves have turned a lighter colour and are very dry to
the touch. What can I do to restore the maple to looking good again.
It's only 2 feet tall and is in a container.

It isn't over-potted, is it? They absolutely *hate* that. Moving up
one size at a time is the safe policy. The container needs to have
good drainage holes, too. I also prefer John Innes to peat-based
mixtures: it's easier to wet properly.

How does the plant know that is is over-potted?
What is the difference between an overpotted plant and one put in the open
ground ab initio?

I put a very young Acer palmatus atropurpureum in a 45cm pot about ten years
ago. It has thrived all the time, in spite of starting by being overpotted
and now being underpotted.

Franz Heymann.