Old 11-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Location: bristol
Default japanese maple - atropurpureum

The edges of the leaves have turned a lighter colour and are very dry to the touch. What can I do to restore the maple to looking good again. It's only 2 feet tall and is in a container.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Paul Kelly

In s.com,
Caroline Smith typed:
The edges of the leaves have turned a lighter colour and are very dry
to the touch. What can I do to restore the maple to looking good
again. It's only 2 feet tall and is in a container.

for the leaves tha have gone brown and crickly- nothing! but for the rest od
the plant keep it well watered - it sounds like water stress to me.

pk

Old 11-07-2003, 06:11 PM
amanda pope

This sounds like wind damage or could be that you let the plant dry out.
Both will produce the effect you describe.
Not a lot you can do to improve it now. If it is only a few leaves you can
cut them off.

I have heard of people trimming back each leaf to the undamaged bit but I'm
sure this would look odd and the edges would discolour.

Place in a more sheltered position next year.

I have stopped selling these as they are expensive and we do not have the
climate for them in the north of England.
Failing that keep them in the conservatory.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

s.com...
--
Caroline Smith

Old 11-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Rod

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message ...
for the leaves tha have gone brown and crickly- nothing! but for the rest od the plant keep it well watered - it

sounds like water stress to me.

And if you can, and you have suitable soil get it out of the container and into the garden in a sheltered but not deeply
shaded part of the garden. No trees are really happy in containers and these Acers are particularly difficult to keep in
prime condition.

Rod

Old 11-07-2003, 11:48 PM
hugh janus

may not be the problem but ive just discovered my tree (18 inches) was
attacked by scale insects,it had all the symptoms you described,I was about
to dispose of it thinking it was dead but 1 leave has regrown on the trunk
the rest of the branches are bare probably dead, i was advised to drench in
pesticide not quite sure what to do now as it looks very odd any help would
be welcome

Old 29-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Reading, England
Default Discoloured leaves

I have had the same symptoms at the bottom of our garden.

We moved it nearer the house to prevent wind damage, but similar symptoms have come back, as well as curled up leaves.

I've cut back most of what looked to be dead, and am now left with a fairly healthy looking couple of large branches.

Will wait and see what develops!

Regards, "Chalky"
Old 30-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Mike Lyle

Caroline Smith wrote in message ws.com...
The edges of the leaves have turned a lighter colour and are very dry to
the touch. What can I do to restore the maple to looking good again.
It's only 2 feet tall and is in a container.

It isn't over-potted, is it? They absolutely *hate* that. Moving up
one size at a time is the safe policy. The container needs to have
good drainage holes, too. I also prefer John Innes to peat-based
mixtures: it's easier to wet properly.

Mike.
Old 30-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
Caroline Smith wrote in message

ws.com...
The edges of the leaves have turned a lighter colour and are very dry to
the touch. What can I do to restore the maple to looking good again.
It's only 2 feet tall and is in a container.

It isn't over-potted, is it? They absolutely *hate* that. Moving up
one size at a time is the safe policy. The container needs to have
good drainage holes, too. I also prefer John Innes to peat-based
mixtures: it's easier to wet properly.

How does the plant know that is is over-potted?
What is the difference between an overpotted plant and one put in the open
ground ab initio?

I put a very young Acer palmatus atropurpureum in a 45cm pot about ten years
ago. It has thrived all the time, in spite of starting by being overpotted
and now being underpotted.

Franz Heymann.

Old 31-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
Caroline Smith wrote in message

ws.com...
The edges of the leaves have turned a lighter colour and are very dry to
the touch. What can I do to restore the maple to looking good again.
It's only 2 feet tall and is in a container.

It isn't over-potted, is it? They absolutely *hate* that. Moving up
one size at a time is the safe policy. The container needs to have
good drainage holes, too. I also prefer John Innes to peat-based
mixtures: it's easier to wet properly.

How does the plant know that is is over-potted?

When the newly-formed tips of its roots reach stagnant water with an
inadequate oxygen content: they can react to this by rotting.

What is the difference between an overpotted plant and one put in the open
ground ab initio?

The water in the open ground moves about, dragging oxygen in, and
also, I think, helping to stop malignant organisms building up to a
dangerous concentration.

I put a very young Acer palmatus atropurpureum in a 45cm pot about ten years
ago. It has thrived all the time, in spite of starting by being overpotted
and now being underpotted.

Su it often works out ok, with maybe just a slowing of the ordinary
rate of growth, especially if your watering technique is right for the
plant. But one can't be certain of getting away with it.

Mike.
Old 31-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
m...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
Caroline Smith wrote in

message
ws.com...
The edges of the leaves have turned a lighter colour and are very

dry to
the touch. What can I do to restore the maple to looking good

again.
It's only 2 feet tall and is in a container.

It isn't over-potted, is it? They absolutely *hate* that. Moving up
one size at a time is the safe policy. The container needs to have
good drainage holes, too. I also prefer John Innes to peat-based
mixtures: it's easier to wet properly.

How does the plant know that is is over-potted?

When the newly-formed tips of its roots reach stagnant water with an
inadequate oxygen content: they can react to this by rotting.

That does not sound like overpotting at all. Surely that is overwatering
combined with lack of drainage.

What is the difference between an overpotted plant and one put in the

open
ground ab initio?

The water in the open ground moves about, dragging oxygen in, and
also, I think, helping to stop malignant organisms building up to a
dangerous concentration.

That sounds like waffle. Let's call a plant in the open ground grossly
overpotted. What then?

I put a very young Acer palmatus atropurpureum in a 45cm pot about ten

years
ago. It has thrived all the time, in spite of starting by being

overpotted
and now being underpotted.

Su it often works out ok, with maybe just a slowing of the ordinary
rate of growth, especially if your watering technique is right for the
plant. But one can't be certain of getting away with it.

I have handled potted plants of one kind or another for close on sixty years
now, and have yet to find out what this "overpotted" lark is about.
Frankly, it sounds to me like an old wives' tale. [Franz Heymann]

Mike.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
How does the plant know that is is over-potted?

When the newly-formed tips of its roots reach stagnant water with an
inadequate oxygen content: they can react to this by rotting.

That does not sound like overpotting at all. Surely that is overwatering
combined with lack of drainage.

The effects are much the same, yes.

What is the difference between an overpotted plant and one put in the

open
ground ab initio?

The water in the open ground moves about, dragging oxygen in, and
also, I think, helping to stop malignant organisms building up to a
dangerous concentration.

That sounds like waffle. Let's call a plant in the open ground grossly
overpotted. What then?

That sounds polite and friendly. You don't have to believe me; you did
ask me, though.

I put a very young Acer palmatus atropurpureum in a 45cm pot about ten

years
ago. It has thrived all the time, in spite of starting by being

overpotted
and now being underpotted.

Su it often works out ok, with maybe just a slowing of the ordinary
rate of growth, especially if your watering technique is right for the
plant. But one can't be certain of getting away with it.

I have handled potted plants of one kind or another for close on sixty years
now, and have yet to find out what this "overpotted" lark is about.
Frankly, it sounds to me like an old wives' tale. [Franz Heymann]

As I say, you don't have to believe me. I think I may have mentioned
that your watering technique could have had something to do with it.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
[...]

My apologies. It is a regrettable fault of mine that I call a spade a
spade. Other than that I am quite a friendly sort of bloke. [Franz
Heymann]

Old 02-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
The water in the open ground moves about, dragging oxygen in, and
also, I think, helping to stop malignant organisms building up to a
dangerous concentration.

That sounds like waffle. Let's call a plant in the open ground grossly
overpotted. What then?

That sounds polite and friendly. You don't have to believe me; you did
ask me, though.

My apologies.

Accepted, of course.

It is a regrettable fault of mine that I call a spade a
spade.

But it wasn't, even figuratively speaking, a spade!

Other than that I am quite a friendly sort of bloke.

I don't doubt it.

[...]
Mike.