Old 30-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Simon Avery

Default New Pump

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

Hello Rodney

F'sure, I have their 200watt pump which is lovely. Maybe my
maths is a bit rusty, but I budgeted 50-60ukp/year running
24/7. Hard to notice in the general noise though.

RP How long do they last and do they still use a shaft driven
RP impeller?

Unsure what the internals are, but almost certainly shaft driven since
anything better tends to be heavily advertised. As for how long they
last, 9 months /so/ far...

I did seriously consider CH pumps, but the plumbing got a bit
complicated and the corrosion issue was a big one I think.

RP made by Lotus (not the current range). They had the shaft
RP sealed by a rubber gasket and that only seemed to last for a
RP couple of years. By the time enough moisture got in to
RP trigger the trip the motor was too rusted up to repair.

I've had a Lotus pond pump before and wasn't too impressed with the
build quality. Their smaller "occasional use" things for water
features seem Ok, and maybe their big pumps are better, but their mid-
range of a few years ago wasn't too good.

RP Agreed, we use the waterproof plugin pond pump connectors in
RP a hole (with a drain) by the side of the waterfall, it's
RP covered by a stone and looks part of the landscaping. We got
RP one of the Hozelock
RP connectors last year but they don't have a cover like the
RP screw ones so you can't leave it unconnected. The spring in
RP the release mechanism also sticks now so it looks as though
RP a Blagdon one will go in soon if
RP they have a screw on cover.

Sounds good. I've not seen a decent waterproof electric plug around
here so I'm using IP65 in-line connectors, heavily smothered with
silicone once put together. Ok so far.